Hello from California!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jimbob

Re: Hello from California!

Post by Jimbob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi Mark,
Take a look at the Mark 58 under the for sale heading on this forum. Might be something to consider.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 pm

You might also consider that Glen-L now just came out with a full CNC cut kit for the Zip that will likely cut your build time in half. The cost may look expensive but minus the shipping the cost of the kit is about the same as I had in all my lumber 10 years ago. So its kinda like they cut it for you for free.

marksanctuary

Post by marksanctuary » Wed May 01, 2019 11:15 am

That Mark 58 is not a bad deal and would work for a Malahini build. So it looks like the cost differences is not so far apart for the extra 2 feet of boat. I will have to consider Zip CNC kit if I do the Zip. Hum choices.

I looked up the folding hitch trailers and now understand how that could help keep the boat in a small garage. I need to measure to double check but I am pretty sure in our 2 car garage we have 24 feet of depth. The garage has shelving on 3 sides and back. I also have two 8 foot rolling shop benches in the middle of the garage. So subtracting the shelves and walking path space, the construction area/parking space for the boat would be approximately 18x10 feet.

Looking at pictures of boat trailers it looks like I can estimate about 3-4 feet longer than the boat without the folding hitch and less with a folding hitch. I am a metal guy so I don't have issues modifying an existing trailer or build a Glen-L from scratch.

Typically how long are the boat trailers for these boats?
Mark Sanctuary

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed May 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Mine is a 17 foot boat. With the engine and on the trailer it sits a little diagonally in my 19.5 foot garage. I built it in a 24x24 foot space and that worked out really nice.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm

My Zip on the trailer with the motor hanging off the back and the normal trailer, not a folding tongue, it just cleared the door when backed straight into my 19.5 ft deep garage. Now, like you, I have a 24ft garage and I would think the Malahini would fit just fine.

marksanctuary

Post by marksanctuary » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm

This helps a lot guys. Thanks!

Chris, this picture of your Zip is exactly what I want to do with my wife. Go out for a little boat ride.

Mark Sanctuary

marksanctuary

Post by marksanctuary » Thu May 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Whats the Zip ride like with 4 adults?
Mark Sanctuary

marksanctuary

Post by marksanctuary » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm

I found your answer from another post. Ok 600 lbs is not 4 adults.

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ts#p205595
Mark Sanctuary

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri May 03, 2019 5:32 pm

I've got a video for that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhIPWxAOFU

4 adults, starts about 30 seconds in. The very last frame also shows it in the old 19.5ft garage.

That picture you posted of my boat is from the maiden voyage, that was my favorite picture from that day.

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Here is a link to a video of my Zip with two adults, a teen and two kids aboard, that is roughly 700 lbs. Of humans, I would say that is pushing it in a Zip, it will do it but two to three adults, or two adults and two kids i think is optimal, I was cruising at 26 mph running a Mercury 25hp two stroke!

https://youtu.be/VtWoPS7szhw
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

marksanctuary

Post by marksanctuary » Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 pm

Jimbob wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:27 pm
You are welcome to stop by and look at my build, and discuss boat building anytime.
Last weekend I had some time to go visit Jim. Wow his Neeley's Barrelback and it looks amazing! Seeing a wooden boat up-close is quite different than the pictures online. Jim loaded me up with tons of info and some plywood boat building books to read. I left his house with so many thoughts and now I am starting to understand more how I should approach this boat choice. My thoughts are now thinking the Malahini is the sweet spot, but the Roustabout is an option too. Really like the look of the sporty Malahini top and the idea of the Roustabout deep vee bottom.

I have searching the forums for these two boats and found some good build posts of the Malahini and a Roustabouts. I see some forum posts discussing which boat to build, Malahini or Roustabout. And there is even DrBryanJ's modified malahini that takes the Roustabout (Donzi) deep vee and the look of a Malahini. So I am going to ponder the boat choice for a bit and take some time to read these books about plywood boat building.
Mark Sanctuary

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed May 08, 2019 2:37 pm

The Deep V has some definite advantages on waters that are typically wind blown or have heavy traffic.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”