New Member in Arizona eyeing a Key Largo build

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

acflynn

New Member in Arizona eyeing a Key Largo build

Post by acflynn » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Hey everyone. I'm Andrew in the Phoenix, Arizona area, and plan on building an inboard runabout. I've long been an admirer of these mahogany classics, and my interest was rekindled about 7-8 months ago when I came across the Glen-L site. I've been a lurker for several months as I've been reading and doing research. Ideally I'd like to do a Belle Isle 23, but that would take a dedicated right-sized workshop or moving to a new house, which is a non-starter.

I'm 90% sure I'd like to build a Key Largo (19'1"), but will likely have to reduce it down about 5% in length to 18'4" or so to fit in my garage (and that probably won't accommodate a trailer). I'm interested in the utility layout for family flexibility with fishing and water sports. I'm hoping to still have a V8 in the Key Largo, and love the look and barrelback transom of the Key Largo vs the similarly-sized runabouts (Biscayne 18, Monaco, Tahoe 19, Mist Miss, Bonanza, etc), but the catalog recommends a 20'1" length for a V8. I mean, even the Audeen at 16'3" can have a V8.

So to start (or to steer me to a different design), does anyone see any problems with putting a V8 in a Key Largo that's been shortened? (I don't have a line on the motor yet, so I can - in theory - obtain any sized engine). Should I seriously consider a different design?

My needs are to transport up to six, potential water skiing or tubing, buildable in a garage that has maximum close-the-door depth of 18' 10"

My grandfather had several boats, starting with a 16' jalopy with an outboard prior to WWII, and then a 1956 Borum Adventurer 17', and then ever-increasing sized cruisers: 27' CC sedan cruiser (early 60's), 33' CC Cavalier, and then a 38' Pacemaker Double-Cabin. I'm not sure I'll get to that level, but it would be a great way to spend additional family time

I'm hoping to start in the fall, once it starts cooling off here in Arizona and some other projects are completed, and I'm (again) hopeful I can finish in about 2+ years so my 5th- and 7th-grade kids can enjoy it for a few years. I'm pretty handy and have been woodworking on and off for 30+ years, but on the other hand I've never used a band saw, planer, or worked with epoxy or fiberglass at all, let alone upholstery and inboard engines. But I'm definitely willing to learn one step at a time.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to this new adventure.

Andrew Flynn
Chandler, AZ
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

hoodman

Re: New Member in Arizona eyeing a Key Largo build

Post by hoodman » Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Andrew, for reference I have about a 19' garage. I have my 17' Geronimo in it on a trailer with an outboard. It has to sit in there catty-corner in order to fit. Luckily I had a much larger space (24x24) to build the hull itself. I also had 10' to the rafters. After the flip, we moved to the current house with the smaller garage where I "completed" the boat. Not to discourage you but it makes it much harder to work in a space that is only slightly larger than your project. But if you want it enough and you keep working at it you will achieve your dream. Welcome to the forum!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m building a 20ft Barrelback in a 20ft garage. It’s a 3 car garage with 2 cars and the boat in there. The boat is at a slight angle but it all fits. When the boat was lighter I rolled it out in the drive to work on it. Now I back a car out to give me room to work.
I hate to see you give up boat length. Is your garage a single stall or multi stall? With a little angled parking I bet you could do 19’1” in an 18’10” stall.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm

I am also building a "10 pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack" boat project, specifically a 21 foot Vera Cruise in a 21 foot two car garage. It is certainly doable, if not easy. If you put your boat on a roll-able form, you can mitigate some of the disadvantages of the lack of space. I did not do this but still found workarounds for every obstacle I ran up against.

Consider this however. Building one of these is a fairly long term project, so carefully ponder your options. Regardless what you decide, you are welcome here on the forum and if you do go forward with a build, please keep us posted and post plenty of pictures. You will find the atmosphere quite friendly and helpful.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue May 28, 2019 7:41 pm

This what 20 ft of Barrelback looks like tucked into a 20 ft garage.
Matt B
Attachments
05F7DF43-681F-421C-974A-1F2DA074DB63.jpeg
BE006328-3BE0-48B1-82E1-9145652F5A19.jpeg

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Tue May 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Wow - thanks, everyone for the kind words and insights already. Being in Arizona it's going to be the opposite as other climates, as I should be able to work late September through mid-May in the garage, and it's the summer months that will be difficult. I saw that even the slow epoxy sets up only a few minutes above 85 degrees, so I may be limited to fairing in the summer months when it gets to 115 degrees here.

@hoodman: I had looked at the Geronimo previously when I was considering outboards, and liked the taller freeboard of the Geronimo vs the Malahini. And I understand the challenge of not having the working space. I haven't even taken into account a table saw and other tools and the space those will take up. I may have to designate a separate "tools and cutting" area, and then walk the newly-milled boards to the garage for assembly. Additionally, even with some of the swing-away tongues of newer trailers, I'm not sure it would fit. Once completed I would likely have to rent a storage space for the boat + trailer, but there's no way I would be able to finish it in 10 years if I had to drive 4-5 miles just to work on it - that has to be on-site.

@Hercdrvr: Wow, yours is indeed a tight squeeze! Your Barrelback looks great. Congrats on making the flip already! My garage layout is a 3-car garage: single (left) and double (middle/right). Fortunately there are no divider walls. The single slot holds our weekend car (classic convertible) and that slot is actually 2' shorter in length than the other stalls, so 16' max, and that also would block our door into the laundry room, so that's not an option. I'm going to park my daily driver in the driveway, that way my wife won't be displaced, which will win me some points during the inconvenience (I hope). When working on the boat, I can back her car out also, and, assuming I have a rolling form of some sort, could position the boat in the middle of the two slots so there would be work area on either side. It's just bow/stern that will be tight, but even then I could move it forward a few feet if working on the transom, I just wouldn't be able to close the garage door at that point.

@mrintense - thanks for the encouragement. Good luck with your Vera Cruise, as I really admire the day cruiser designs, and my wife is more keen on that type of boat. She was a little concerned that none of these nice mahogany runabouts have a head! At a minimum I plan on tracking hours and cost broken down by section, and am considering a blog, even if it doesn't get much traffic. At least my kids will be able to look up what dad was doing in the garage all that time until they can help. I haven't done video, but have seen several build threads in episodic format on YouTube, so that's a thought as well.
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”