New Member from Greenville, SC

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rossy

New Member from Greenville, SC

Post by rossy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am

Well I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Ross and live in Greenville, SC. I currently own a 73 Checkmate TRV17 but I've had the itch the past few years to build a boat of my own and its time to put off the procrastination and dive in (pun intended)! I downloaded a copy of The Consumer's guide to Building your own Boat from Glen-L and going to purchase a copy of Boatbuilding with Plywood.

The plan is to start with project with my dad this fall/winter, since he is not only my best friend and mentor but someone I look up to and always strive to be like, he passed down his 79 Camaro to me which he bought new in 78 and I drove through high school. Also he owned a Checkmate back in the early 80's hence why I own a Checkmate!

I'm currently looking at the Dyno Mite plans, but my first question yesterday I spent much of my time gathering links, books, etc to read and learn as much as possible and ran across a link on the forum to "common terms and lingo" to know but now for the life of me after searching I cannot find it again so if anyone knows and link and will share I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks and look forward to sharing progress pictures and getting to know the group!

-Ross

DrBryanJ

Re: New Member from Greenville, SC

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 am

Welcome Ross. I'm sure you and your Dad will have a great time building the boat. Sorry, but I don't have a link for you. Be sure you read and reread Boatbuilding with plywood. Great source of information.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:27 am

Welcome Ross,

Boatbuilding is a great experience to share with your dad.

Here's the glossary link https://www.glen-l.com/glossary-of-boat-building-terms/

Tom

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 am

Welcome Ross.... I too have a Checkmate (1985 Enchanter I/O). I use it when we vacation in Florida and my Glen-L Gentry is the boat of choice for all other boating. If you can, try to come to our annual gathering in September. It will be in Guild, Tennessee, 9/12 to 9/15. You can search the forum for more information. You will see many boats from the Glen-L fleet up close and you will be able to take rides in any or all. It is a great event. Bring your dad, and bring your checkmate if you like. Best of luck with your build,,, Neel

rossy

Post by rossy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks Tom for the link, that was exactly what I was looking for! It is now bookmarked!

neel, I've always loved the look of the Enchanters and was on my list when I was looking to make a purchase a few years ago, we just might try to make it up for the upcoming meet. Doesn't look to be too far of a drive, here's a pic of my 'mate and just might try to bring it along as well.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”