New guy around Toronto!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Avisser

New guy around Toronto!

Post by Avisser »

Hey all,

I'm in the Toronto area and hoping to put together a boat this winter. I explored maybe doing a Roustabout, but that's bigger then I'm ready to take on just yet, so I think I'm going to do a Squirt, it's the "toy" I'm looking for and matches what I want right now. Besides my 12 and 14 year old boys can pilot it solo if I keep it under 10hp.

Question I have though. I'm ordering plans soon and getting delivered to my in-laws in the states, then collecting whan next we see them... Saves shipping, so do I order poxygrip and a fastener kit at the same time? Should I add more to my order, we see them every 2 or so months.

Anyone have recommendations for lumber supply in Toronto?

Oh! One more.... Winter building, hoping to do framing and planking over the winter under a car-port tent and then be into paint and glass in the spring.... Does that sound insane in Canadian winter?

DrBryanJ

Re: New guy around Toronto!

Post by DrBryanJ »

If the carport doesn't have heat, the epoxy will not set. I work in an unheated garage in New Jersey and have to stop in late Dec. Some years in Nov.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

I grew up in southern Ontario, a little west of Toronto, and agree with what Bryan said. As a practical matter, it's unlikely you would be able to do much building in the Toronto area in an unheated space past the end of November.

With that said, there are some things you might be able to work on indoors over the winter months. I'm thinking of things like cutting out and assembling the frames, cutting out the transom, transom knee, and stem, and milling all the wood for the keel, chines, sheers, and battens. That's basically what I did when I built my boat; I worked in the basement over the winter months to get things ready for use in the build when the temperatures warmed up, which in the Cincinnati area was toward the end of March.

Some of the Canadian builders have had favorable things to say about Noah's Boat Building Supplies in Etobicoke. They carry a full range of products including marine plywood and epoxy, fiber glass etc. You may want to check them out; with the Canadian dollar trading in the 75 cents US range, it can get costly purchasing things in the United States.

Best of luck with your build.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

galamb

Post by galamb »

Noah's Boatbuilding (on six points drive in Etobicoke) litterally has "everything" you could ever need to build a boat, canoe etc - wood, plywood (multiple marine grade choices), epoxy, hardware, fiberglass cloth etc.

Some of their items are maybe a touch pricey but when you factor in shipping from anywhere else and that, plus the convenience, balances everything out.

If you are going to buy the bulk of your building lumber at once it might be beneficial to get it from Monaghans' (just off Hwy 7 in Peterborough). Their prices a "better enough" that it's worth the gas money/time if you are buying in quantity.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Rick at Noah's is good guy. I've met him several times. He even came to one of the Gatherings.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Avisser

Post by Avisser »

Probably hitting up Noah's tomorrow to buy plans and scope out their shelves :-)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”