BARRELBACK BUILD FROM TOLEDO

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Shawn K

BARRELBACK BUILD FROM TOLEDO

Post by Shawn K »

Hey Everyone, just about to order my plans for a Barrelback, but wanted some advice from some folks with build experience. I guess my question is, using the screws that are sold by Glen L and the fiberglass and resin. I guess I'm wondering if that's the way everyone goes or can you buy your own screws and fasteners etc. I see that Glen LS screws are flathead screws with just a regular slot in them , is there a reason for this and why not Phillips head? And do they sell good quality and how's the pricing in there stuff compared to buying at a box store off the shelf? Well thanks and I appreciate any advice. I'm just trying to do this build the right way and you don't know if you don't ask Thanks, Shawn K

DrBryanJ

Re: BARRELBACK BUILD FROM TOLEDO

Post by DrBryanJ »

Hi Shawn. Welcome to the forum. The barrelbacks are beautiful boats. I think most builders are not using stainless screws. If i'm wrong, they will chime in. Most are using silicon bronze. The screws you need aren't generally available at the box stores. I have found Glen-L to be competitive on their prices. The silicon bronze screws they have are frearson screws (similar to phillips head, but don't use phillips head screwdriver. It will strip screw in no time) Also, in many places the ringshank nails are useful.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Shawn

Byran is right. SB is the answer. SS requires air to protect it. It will corrode with out air. Also, SS should not contact carbon steel. I don't remember if SS or CS goes away first.

Most of us try to buy from Glen-L, our host. There are other sources though.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Shawn,
Welcome! from another barrelback builder.
You will want to go with the silicon bronze screws from Glen-L. They have a nice kit of all of the screws and ring nails that you will need for the barrelback. I substituted additional screws for the ring nails because I wanted the option of removing the screw if i needed to. I didn't use the nails because I felt that it would probably be impossible to remove those nails if I needed to. You will want to only use stainless steel screws for deck hardware etc. Top Notch Fasteners sells period accurate stainless steel screws (straight, oval head) when you get to that point.

The thing about buying from Glen-L is that they have kits specific for your boat. I got my screws, fiberglass, epoxy, and poxygrip (glue) from them.

My barrelback build is in the link below.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K »

Thanks guys, I figured that going with glen l would be the best route when it came to buying the screws etc. but just wanted to be sure before writing that $800 check, I've never spent that much on screws and nails before. Ha Ha! I just want to be sure I'm getting this right so asking is what I will be doing a lot of, I'm sure. I'm so greatful for the Internet and forums, I can remember a day when they didn't exist and taking my on a project meant, going in blind. Today there a whole worlds worth the info at the touch of your computers keyboard. That s Amazing! Thanks for your input. -PEACE Shawn K

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Thanks for all the recommendations folks! I do believe our prices are quite competitive as well. At least we attempt to make them so... we appreciate you all.

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K »

Thanks Gayle, I'm new to all this and I guess I just have a ton of questions about the best way to proceed is, I received my plans yesterday and today I've been working diligently on putting together the materials I'm gonna need to get me started on the frames and the building form. I'm going to try and put a video of my build together and put it on my you tube channel as well as the forum. Also I listened to you on the Wooden Boat podcast this morning that you did a while back. I really enjoyed it, had some great info on Glen-L. right now I'm trying to decide what type of wood to use, id like to go with african mahogany but it seems to be hard to find in the area I live in. What I'm wondering is using different lumber for the frames or using a different type of mahogany, is this something that is doable or not? any kind of feedback I can get on lumber issues is appreciated. thanks

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Shawn,

I literally just finished responding to your email when this popped up! Yes, you can use other woods that are suitable for boatbuilding besides what's listed on the bill of materials. We have some guidelines on our site as well as a link to some suppliers by state: https://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood-information/

I hope this helps!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Shawn,

Public Lumber on 7 mile at I75 has mahogany. Also www.theworkbench.com (Johnson's Workbench) in Charlotte, MI has the lumber you need. I got all my lumber and plywood from them and they will deliver on their truck to Toledo.

Tom

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

You can also try Homestead Hardwoods in Vickery, OH. I got my Okoume plywood from them and the have everything you could ask for.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I’m going to jump in on this start up and offer a suggestion. It’s been my experience, don't get too far ahead on materials. I don’t know exactly what materials I need until I get there and my build space is limited.
As far as the fastener kits from Glen L, they are very complete and take out some of the anxiety on the 1st boat.
Best of luck to you,
Matt B

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K »

this may sound d like a dumb question but I just got off the phone from Toledo plywood and they don't carry the okuume 1088, it has to be ordered and its cost is roughly $150 a sheet for 4'x8'x 1/2". does this sound high? because I was hearing prices around $60 to $75 a sheet. but my question is, I have some sapelle that is not a marine grade, could this be used for my gussets on my frames? I was able to find some african mahogany to use for the frames ,and I have a few days off coming up here shortly and was hoping to start my frames, and the plywood is the only thing holding me up, I figured the gussets would eventually be completely encased in epoxy anyway.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Shawn,

$111 for 1/2" okoume at Homestead www.marine-plywood.us/mahogany_okoume.htm

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

From LL Johnson in Charlotte, MI:

PLYMMP1/2-12MM 1/2" 12mm 7Ply BS-1088 Lloyds $132.58 (1 to 3 pc) $128.79(4 to 6 pc) $125.00 (7 to 9) $121.22 (10+)

So, $150/sheet sounds high.

Marine grade plywood is specified with no voids. Voids are a problem when you are bending the plywood around the frame. You might be ok with non-marine plywood for the gussets, since they are flat but don't quote me on that. This is a long journey and big investment, take it slow and do it right.
Last edited by JimmY on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

In the Homestead link scroll to the bottom and there are discounts for multiple sheets. The sheets can be mixed.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”