New Miss Chris build

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BoilerAv8r

New Miss Chris build

Post by BoilerAv8r »

Hi everyone,

After three years of looking longingly at the plans (wife...kids...house build...yikes), I've finally started my Miss Chris build. Hugely excited.

And I almost made it past step one before being stumped. After tracing one half of the full size plans, I cut sight holes in them, flipped them over, and found the mirror side's set-up level is off by about 1/8". All three holes on the center line match perfectly, and I'm sure I drew the center line and set-up level on the melamine very accurately. Protractors, laser lines, the works. Those lines are spot on, and the frames meet at the center line perfectly as well. I started over on the other side of the board with the same result.

Obviously, I'm not about to proceed with a build with the set-up level 1/8" off on one side as that error will keep compounding.

After about 6 hours of staring at that 1/8" error, I thought I'd call in the pros. If anyone has any insight, I'd be grateful. In any case, I'm thrilled to finally be going on the project and look forward to meeting many of you at the meetup one of these years.

Thanks,

Justin

Bluesman

Re: New Miss Chris build

Post by Bluesman »

Something must be off, try squaring up the set up line to the CL on the side that you know is right, then measure from top of the frame lines over to CL on both sides. You may have to fudge your lines a little.
Last edited by Bluesman on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

TomB

Post by TomB »

Justin,

You are right to be concerned with symmetry between sheer and chine point.

There are a couple of sacred lines, the centerline and the setup line, and the 90* between them. I don't trust a triangle, protractor, or carpenter squareto get the angle right. I use a "3,4,5 triangle". From the intersection of the setup line/centerline measure up the centerline a multiple of three (30"?) to about the sheer line, from the intersection measure a multiple of four (40") along the setup line. The distance between the two measurements will be a multiple of five (50") proving you've got the 90* angle.

A perfectly drawn template drawing may also pick up a little distortion in the printing process so check the drawing too!

After all that...fudge it.

Tom

BoilerAv8r

Post by BoilerAv8r »

Thank you both! I'll get to it.

Justin

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Question, how did you trace the patterns? Did you use the carbon paper method? Are your pattern sheets nice and flat? They come folded. I ended up ironing my patterns with a warm dry iron and rolled them for storage afterward.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

I initially transferred my original plans to heavy stock paper, I think it was a roll of flooring underlayment paper.
I drew them full size, and then I had full size drawings, all the sacred lines, on heavy workbench paper, thats what I used to assemble the frames.
I made the transfer with double sided carbon paper.
I could roll them up neatly, and refer back to them any time.
the original thin paper plans were put away at that point.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BoilerAv8r

Post by BoilerAv8r »

Matt- I am using carbon paper, but it came on a roll; it's pretty flat. PS- Boiler up.

Tom- Thanks for the 3/4/5 suggestion- I found the set-up level line to be very slightly askew using this method and the correction cut the error in half.

Current error (difference between the two halves) is 1/16" at the set-up level and at the chine, 1/8" at the sheers, and 1/32" difference between the sheers and centerline.

I like Ken's idea of some heavier paper. I'll try that and see if I can zero in on the 1/32" error that I'm shooting for.

Thanks again, everyone.

Justin

kens

Post by kens »

working with the plans right out of the mailing envelope, they tend to crawl around a lot.
I had many weighted ducks, big paperweights, to hold them down as I stretched them out flat.

here is a old notebook article from Glen Witt
https://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblett ... l#notebook
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Post by kens »

working with the plans right out of the mailing envelope, they tend to crawl around a lot.
I had many weighted ducks, big paperweights, to hold them down as I stretched them out flat.

here is a old notebook article from Glen Witt
https://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblett ... l#notebook

here is transfer paper, if you like it
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=26

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

It’s hard to say what is happening here, but something in your transfer technique is not producing the results you want. I’d sleep on it and focus my thoughts on keeping it simple because there isn’t much in boat building that’s complicated.
Welcome to the journey,
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Others may disagree, but frankly being within 1/8 is fine and probably not worth losing sleep over.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm with Hoodman! if your an 1/8 high sand it off. If you are an1/8 low fill it in. Or, just wait and measure again in the morning. Wood moves.

It's a boat,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”