Hello and boat selection

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

FL-John

Hello and boat selection

Post by FL-John »

Hi forum. I’m a long time lurker. I’m about to pull the trigger on ordering boat plans so I thought I should introduce my self and ask the final questions.

So introductions... I’m John. I sell software for a living and like to build stuff for fun since work doesn’t actually produce anything tangible. I live in Tampa (technically Wesley Chapel) Florida with my wife and three kids, 17,12 and 9. I’ve been looking at Glen-L boats and dreaming about building a “classic” boat for nearly 15 years. The fiberglass always put me off so to educate myself I built a 24” model sailboat that was fiberglass on balsa and a 16’ stitch and glue kayak. Both came out beautiful so I’m ready to bite the bullet and take on a big boat. A pic of the kayak is attached below.

The Barrelback is what caught my eye and started this crazy obsession and would be my ideal boat but my build space is limited. I have a three car garage but my wife is not willing to park outside. The short, one car, bay that has been my shop is only 19’ deep. I’ll be able to utilize all but one bay of the full garage so diagonally, the boat will fit but I’m likely to have less than 2’ on either end. Am I insane for even considering this?

The other options, in order of preference, would be
1. The 18’ Biscayne. It seems to have more passenger space but lacks the Barrelback and really doesn’t buy me much room.
2. A smaller outboard boat. To be honest I’m scared to death of the inboard installation and set up but if I’m going to do this I might as well go all in and get what I want.
3. The Gentry. I have 3 kids so I’d really like more passenger room than this boat provides but it is beautiful and would fit easily.
4. ???? I’m open to suggestions.

I look forward to the forums feedback, to sharing build pics, picking your brain and someday joining you in Tennessee!
Attachments
00C05B44-F050-4BE5-9DFA-2E34665D3950.jpeg

TomB

Re: Hello and boat selection

Post by TomB »

Hi John and welcome. Well done on the kayak.

This is easy - build the Barrelback. Consider adding casters to your build form. Then you can have four feet on each end when needed.

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

+1 on Tom's comment. If you can move the form around, you should be able to get at any side/area that you need to.

There have been a few Gentrys built with a "mother In-Law" seat in front of the motor.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

kens

Post by kens »

Don't be scared to death about the inboard installation. This has been done so many times there is ample help and info around.
If you do decide on one of the cold-mold designs, by the time you get to the engine installation process, you will handle it just fine.
The Gentry is a fine choice, especially with the rumble seat up front.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks for the feedback. I’m really leaning towards the Barrelback. The odds that I do this more than once are pretty slim so I figure I should go with what I want and make it work. Now I just need to hit the buy button. My cart is all loaded up...

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

John... I would choose the Barrelback 19 over the Gentry. I built a Gentry (Scooter) and stretched it from 17' 4" (plan length) to 18 '7". I added a rumble seat in front of the engine that would seat two adults comfortably or probably three kids. I had a bench seat aft that would seat two adults and one kid in the middle. It was an easy boat to get in and out of at the dock, but it would not be easy from the water without some sort of custom ladder or swim platform. Also getting from the front seat to the rear would not be pretty. Once seated, you are essentially stuck there. Not sure, but maybe you could shorten the BB a few inches to make it easier to work on in your garage. The cold molded boat I am building now is on a building form with castors. I did level and anchor it to the floor until I had the first layer of cold molding on the bottom, sides and transom. Then I cut her loose and can move it anywhere, even outside for major sanding. You have a hard decision in front of you... Best of luck with whichever design you choose.... here is a picture of Scooter....Neel
Attachments
20150918_081444 (1).jpg
20170909_123823.jpg

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

I agree with the Barrelback comments above. However, if your kids are interested in water sports you could go the route of a Key Largo, which is exactly the same specs as a Barrelback but with a utility layout. Similar great look but perhaps more usable space than the Barrelback or the Biscayne.

Regardless, Welcome!
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Welcome!
I'm gonna suggest something else.
Based on your "If you're going to go, then go big" comment (paraphrased) in regard to choosing an inboard design, then go as big as you can--those kids aren't getting any smaller.

You have a space equivalent to a two car garage. The most common measurement for that space is 20' x 20'. You say you have 19 feet of dept. Lets assume an equal width (shelves or something in the way). A quick visit to the Pythagorean theorem gives us a hypotenuse of 26.8 feet. The bow tucks neatly into a corner so your width at the transom is your only real challenge milking length out of your diagonal space. If the transom is 6 feet wide (which looks pretty accurate) then working the math means you lose 3 feet of that diagonal length. This leaves you with 23.8 feet.

Put the form on rollers as suggested, open the garage door when needed. adjust a few inches here and there as you work, and I see no reason why you couldn't build either the Biscayne or the Belle Isle at 22 feet. AND..., the Belle Isle gives you all the seating of the Biscayne AND the full 'barrel' back look you so desire.

Ask your loving bride to park favoring one side of her dedicated space, and you could very likely get the 23' version built! Remember..., you're never working on both ends at the same time.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks again for all the feedback! After careful consideration I decided to go with my initial instinct and I am now the proud owner of a set of Barrelback 19 plans!!! Well, I will be when they show up in the mail.

Something about that boat has always appealed to me and looking at all of the creative and innovative things that people have done with these boats gave me confidence that I can make it suitable for my needs. I’m now considering stretching it or 20’ and modifying the cockpit layout a little. But I’m getting way ahead of myself.

I guess it’s time to transition this to a build thread, clean out the garage and get ready to make some sawdust!
Attachments
19725582-5D21-43A4-B322-4A6B8E2952FA.jpeg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Welcome to the forum John. The Barrelback is a beautiful boat. Interestingly enough, there seems to have been an uptick in the number of that design being built. Tight garage space seems to be the norm for most of us. From my own experience, one of the prime considerations is being able to step back and view along the fair lines as you progress in the build. So having the boat on a rolling frame will allow this. However, two considerations for the rolling frame.

First it needs to be sturdy because you are going to be putting quite a bit of various types of force against it.
Secondly, some way to lock it into position that is more reliable than simply locking the casters.

As a secondary bit of advice. I suggest you purchase a larger canopy, say 10 foot. This won't cover the entire boat, but on those hot summer days, or when it's raining, you can cover the end of the boat you re working on and keep the remainder in the garage. That and some good fans have saved my bacon here in the hot Austin summer.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I spent the day cleaning out the garage so the juxtaposition of adding a canopy to the things I need to store vs the things I’m giving away is a little funny at the moment.

As part of the garage purge I gave away today:

1. A Little 2000 watt generator to a nice enough guy
2. An old mig welder to a guy that works in a metal fab shop. He offered to build me a cut water and any other metal pieces I need for the boat. He also donated a 6 pack of beer.
3. An RC truck to a guy that is an insurance adjuster who has a buddy that has an industrial size spool of glass cloth that “they use to build boats” that he got from a damaged warehouse. Will see where that goes but he also donated a 6 pack.

I have 1/3 of the garage cleaned out. Any thing that doesn’t contribute to boat building is going. Both garbage cans are full and trash pick up isn’t for two days...I may be loading the truck up for a dump run tomorrow.

I’m getting more confident that I can fit a 20’ boat in there. The wife even came out and helped so I think I’m on the right track!

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

If your wife is at least "tolerant" of your hobby, things will go much easier! Good luck, we'll be watching your progress. :D
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”