New Member From Kentucky

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

bdm

New Member From Kentucky

Post by bdm »

Hello all,

I'm Brian, I've been lurking on Glen-L website for over 10 years, looking at plans. Several times I've purchased study plans but never really had the room to build a boat. I either lived in a condo, or townhouse.

Now I live on a large track of land, having completed my house 5 years ago, and my work shop this winter. I've just recently purchased study plans for the Double Eagle and Plan to purchase the full plans shortly. I'll be building my boat from Aluminum as I'm better at working with metals than I am wood.

Any words of wisdom before I embark on this journey?

Thank

hoodman

Re: New Member From Kentucky

Post by hoodman »

Awesome! Enjoy the journey. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

I built double Eagle as a wood center console (deleted the cabin), and use a 3.0L Gm inboard reduction gear.
I stretched it the 10% and it is a great boat. I mostly fish with it out to 25miles offshore.
It is good in offshore seas, and can outrun most other fiberglass outboards in the tougher seas.
although the plans say it is a semi-displacement hull, it does gets up on plane.
With the 10% stretch it will plane like a jon-boat.
Slow it down and it will take the tougher seas.
As long as you are in central rivers and lakes, double Eagle will never see waters to challenge it.
My boat doesn't get challenged until offshore small-craft warnings are up.
How do you plan to power it??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

bdm

Post by bdm »

kens wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm
I built double Eagle as a wood center console (deleted the cabin), and use a 3.0L Gm inboard reduction gear.
I stretched it the 10% and it is a great boat. I mostly fish with it out to 25miles offshore.
It is good in offshore seas, and can outrun most other fiberglass outboards in the tougher seas.
although the plans say it is a semi-displacement hull, it does gets up on plane.
With the 10% stretch it will plane like a jon-boat.
Slow it down and it will take the tougher seas.
As long as you are in central rivers and lakes, double Eagle will never see waters to challenge it.
My boat doesn't get challenged until offshore small-craft warnings are up.
How do you plan to power it??
Sounds like you have a great fishing boat!

We plan to trailer ours up to the Great Lakes, and use it on the Ohio River, and other lakes around. We had a 35' Sea Ray before the boy was born and enjoyed weekends on it. Looking to turn this into just a day boat, we've moved over to taking trips in our Fifth wheel.

As for power, I was originally thinking of using a 52 hp kubota Diesel from a retired piece of equipment that my son and I are rebuilding. But I saw someone build one with a Cummins 4BT and those are easily to get hands on and are great little motors (heavy, but great).

I was also thinking of building it as a v bottom and using a single outboard.

kens

Post by kens »

" I was also thinking of building it as a v bottom and using a single outboard. "

What you mean by that?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”