Hello From Clearwater, FL

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

wgeorge1208

Hello From Clearwater, FL

Post by wgeorge1208 »

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here. Just received my Malahini plans in the mail yesterday and am anxiously awaiting the start. I live in Clearwater, Florida. If anyone is near let me know, I'd love to pick your brain a little.

-Will

Roberta

Re: Hello From Clearwater, FL

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! The Malahini is very popular and many will jump in to help you with any questions. Post pictures and have fun.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

wgeorge1208

Post by wgeorge1208 »

Hey Roberta. I’m sure I’ll have questions as I go. I plan to start next week with building, I’ll be sure to document the journey.

-will

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to post some progress pictures as you go!

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Hi Will, I'm in Wesley Chapel, building a Barrelback. I'm more questions than answers at the moment since this is my first big boat but I may be able to help with things like lumber sources. Craftsman Supply in Ybor City is going to be closer to you but the pickings have been pretty slim as of late. Apparently the Columbia restaurant, right across the street, is doing an expansion and they are building the entire thing out of 4/4 mahogany :-) Intercity lumber has been pretty reliable for a good stock and they are a little cheaper. Good luck with the build!!!

wgeorge1208

Post by wgeorge1208 »

Thanks for the advice. I’m actually going to be over in Tampa tomorrow for some stuff. I’ll go check out intercity lumber. How far along are you with the barrelback? I plan to start cutting my frames this Friday.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I have about 2/3 of the battens installed and have started some rough fairing. I started the project mid April. Not traveling for work has made it go much faster than originally anticipated.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”