introduction

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

ward

introduction

Post by ward »

Hello from Milwaukee! It might be the Covid but I've been obsessing a bit about classic wooden boats lately. I've never built a boat before but I have good shop space and have built other things. Right now I feel like I want to build one... I Love the barrelback shapes but have been imagining how one might modify the cockpit area to be more communal rather than the old style automobile like seating. I checked out the pictures from the Tahoe 24 build in the Netherlands and am very impressed. The Riva Aquarama, which seems to be his inspiration, is a pretty incredible boat. I wonder if Lake Michigan is ready for that! If I do eventually build something, it has to be useable on Lake Michigan as well as smaller inland lakes. I have a million questions but maybe that's enough for now, since this is meant as an introduction.

Bluesman

Re: introduction

Post by Bluesman »

Welcome! Lots to consider there... I'd say if you're thinking Lake Michigan choose the big Tahoe and pick a calm day to run on it. It is widely held that the older designs with the vertical bows won't take much chop.
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

TomB

Post by TomB »

Welcome Ward,

I'm building a Tahoe 23 in "kind of a utility" arrangement. I'll use it on Lake Michigan when the lake is flat. A Tahoe that looks like a Riva or a Boesch is very doable.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

ward

Post by ward »

Thanks Tom and Bluesman for the responses. I was planning on the Tahoe 23-- maybe even stretched to 24 but that is based mostly on what it looks like. i haven't found any decent video of the bigger Tahoes on the water but that would be helpful for sure. I am open to different designs for something that might be more suitable for a big lake like Lake Michigan. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Also-- do you guys have pictures or video posted anywhere of your builds? I would love to see some of your process. Tom-- what do you mean by utility arrangement? My sons spent a few weeks biking around Lake Michigan this summer. They started by taking the fast ferry to Muskegon and then went north-- so they missed your fair city of Holland. They had a great time and were well treated by many who met them. And they returned home impressed by Michigan's far superior coastline and beaches!

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I have complete photo documentation from start to present in my Facebook albums but I think we need to be connected in order for you to view those.
https://www.facebook.com/ted.souhrada/m ... 219&type=3

You should also check out Bill Edmunson's photos posted by Glen-L, I've looked at those so many times I've stopped counting... Bill has been a tremendous help!
https://www.glen-l.com/designs/hankinso ... frame.html

Lastly you can check out the Glen-L interview with Butch Barto and his Tahoe 24' I've ridden in Butch's boat and it's really awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGfoUOD9oU

I've sailed on Lake Michigan on 33 ft. sail boats out of Chicago and the big waves that can crop up would be concerning to me with these hulls. I would exercise caution if that's your plan. There are plenty of deep water hull designs that would handle the conditions out there but these smaller boats really are meant for calm waters.

Also, if you're planning on storing this inside a garage be sure to check your finished length on a trailer. I wanted to build the stretched 24' Tahoe but it just wouldn't fit in my garage.

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

TomB

Post by TomB »

Ward,

The bike paths north of Muskegon are fantastic, rails to trails at its best.

My build thread, warts and all, is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30871 I have departed from the design in a number of ways. With wind out of the west or NW, my part of Lake Michigan is often too rough for the Tahoe or any other small craft. Boats with deep Vs will ride a little better and give you an extra day or two on the water.

Dave NZ built a Tahoe 20 utility, his build thread, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24317&start=135 This photo shows the interior layout.
tahoe utility.jpg
Tom

ward

Post by ward »

Thanks Tom and Bluesman and sorry for the delayed reply. I have gone down the rabbit hole, including most of the links you sent. Your projects look fantastic-- loved the boat flip video posted by Bluesman! And Tom-- wishing you a complete recovery. From the look of the truck, that must have been a violent crash. Hopefully it will be safer on the water! That scalloped transom is going to be a thing of beauty and practical for climbing out of the water and back on to the boat. I went ahead and ordered up the Tahoe 23 plans and have received them and looked briefly. I'm reading through the included instructions and contemplating first steps. The plans come folded and the double carbon approach to transferring them seems like it might be inaccurate. I'm thinking maybe using eighth inch thick acrylic and transferring that way. I think I read about that approach in one of the posts. Now that you've both successfully transferred the drawings, do you have a preference for how best to do that? Thank you both for all your input thus far!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Ward,

Check for square, the water line and center line need to be at 90* to each other. Adjust the centerline if you have to.

I saw that someone ironed the template sheet. I pinned mine down at centerline corners, chine and sheer intersections.

I transferred the template drawing twice, once onto a sheet of plywood, the second time was individual frame members. I used the template on the plywood as an aid when the frames were glued up. Tracing the ends of each frame on the plywood probably would have been enough. Some people make templates and then route the edges. For the Tahoe, there aren't any members that cross the centerline so make one side and use it as a template for the second side and then use the two floor frame members to profile the floor timbers.

That's one way to do it, I'm sure there are better ways.

Tom

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I simply transferred the lines to the setup board and used the outlines there to fit up the frame sections. I found that It's best to screw down chock blocks so the boards are fixed when you start applying the gussets. I don't have a really good photo of that step but you can figure it out.
Attachments
20190712_081454.jpg
20190623_105059.jpg
Last edited by Bluesman on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

kens

Post by kens »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
There are several designs in the Glen-L catalog you may be interested in.
When you say 'barrelback shapes', there is several of that 'genre' in the catalog.
Some of them are the same basic hull with a different interior layout and it gets a different name.
Still, you can do your own interior layout to suit yourself. It is the basic hull design that is important to adhere to.
Have you looked at the 'Gatherings' pics and videos? there are many boats in there.
You also mentioned Tahoe and 24' in the same sentence.
Have you seen Butch' boat in any of the videos? it is a Tahoe 24. He has attended many Gatherings, with many pictures.
I most recently rode with Butch on the last River Run and some stretch of the river was wind blowing against the current.
The Tahoe handled that quite well.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”