A Note to the Newbie From the Moderator. Please read this!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dave Grason

A Note to the Newbie From the Moderator. Please read this!

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 am

I put this thread here because I think that this will catch the attention of a lot of first time boat builders. As you start exploring the idea of building your own boat, you're going to have TONS of questions and that's the biggest reason to become a member of this Glen-L forum. The knowledge and experience floating around this place is amazing. And this is a forum where EVERYONE here cares about YOUR project. This is the kind of place where you just might find guys who are into big block drag boats, scratching their heads helping a member work out how to place the keel in a sailing scow and vice versa. There are a lot of problem solvers here and you are very welcome to become a member and start asking questions until the cows come home. That's not to say that all questions will be answered but most ARE answered. Sometimes questions will go unanswered but that's simply because you may have come up with something that no one actually knows. It's been known to happen. However, an overwhelming number of newbie questions are answered here each and ever day.

One of the best suggestions that we can give you on your way to boatbuilding bliss is that you might very well consider building a model of the design that your considering. This is especially true if you're torn between 2 or 3 different but similar designs. Virtually all of Glen-L's plans can be traced right onto any good model building material and you'll end up with a model boat that will be an exact 1 to 1 dimension with the plans. A number of forum members have done this and this really does give you an excellent idea of what your future boat will look like and you can actually address many of your build problems at the model stage. To use a really old tag line from a 1971 Alka-Seltzer TV commercial: "Try it! You'll like it!"

Next, please let me say that even if you're NOT considering a Glen-L plan, do not let that sway you away from becoming a member here. We welcome any and all hobby boat builders. We like to look at ALL designs and we take an interest in all as well. Virtually every type of boat that can you can build at home will find someone that's enthusiastic about it here. We would actually be dissappointed if you let going with a different design shy you away from joining in here.

In conclusion I just want to say: "Welcome All to this Forum." We're really glad you're here.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Also,other designers ideas of how to do things might be very compatable with Glen-L designs and may give builders new ideas on how to overcome problems etc.

catman4926

Postby catman4926 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi men and laides,

My name is Harold ,i'm from Mobile ,Alabama USA, I have ordered my plans to build teh Chunky Dory 25'8". I'm retaired and like running the rivers and I do a loty of cat fishing

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 am

It's good to have you here. Welcome.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

catman4926

Postby catman4926 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 am

Dave,
Thank you, looking forward to chatting with y'all, and gaining the knowledge on building boats again thank you for the welcome

sinvela

Postby sinvela » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 am

Dave,

You are so right about building a model first -- except that I sorta did it backwards. I built my model of SINVELA before I even thought about building a full-size boat, then chose the Glen-L CS-20 because it so much resembled the model. I did modify the model somewhat later to add the outboard engine and the radio controls, just so I could pretend they are identical.

So far I have been totally happy with both selections ..... life is good.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/jtellersr/DSC03161.jpg?t=1226860269

SINVELA
......SURE BEATS WORKIN' !!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:40 pm

That model is very cool. I'm glad you shared that with us.

More and more of the guys are doing this model building along with building the full size boats.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:15 pm

This is another thing I always wanted to do....build one painted up like the big one.

It'll be cool having a "Little Glen-L" show & run at next years Gathering!!!

Thanks for SKIIIIIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIING for getting the ball rolling!!!

davidhaile

Finally....

Postby davidhaile » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 pm

I started a stitch-n-glue project from a Glen-L plan about 10 years ago. The hull was stitched and we moved it around for years and never glued it. I bought a similar boat that needs a layer of fiberglass so I'm going to use the previous supplies on the new already complete boat.

bacon74

Postby bacon74 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Hello, My name is glavin bacon and I live in pooler,Ga. But I was born in savannah,Ga. I Would like to be able to build a wooden runabout someday.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:50 am

Welcome Glavin. Good to have you here. So, how far is pooler from Savannah?

Irish

Hello from Chickamauga Georgia

Postby Irish » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 am

My name is Doug Irish and I am looking into building a Glen-L boat. I like the open design of the Key Largo but prefer the lines of the Tahoe. I hope to find answers about merging the two.

Bluemohawk

Hello!

Postby Bluemohawk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:54 am

I am new to boat building it looks like I may start building one next summer. I am glad to see there is a place to post questions if i get hung up!!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:46 am

Welcome to the forum, Bluemohawk. I was reading your other post about welding so I'll post another answer over there but by all means, if there is anyway that we can help, we're right here. However, as an overwhelming majority of the boat projects here being made of wood, YOU may be the one helping us. LOL. Personally, I would very much like to see more and more people comming here with experience in welding boats together.

coach

Postby coach » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks Dave, just joined today...Don from Oxford,Michigan

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”