Aussie Member

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kic259

Aussie Member

Postby kic259 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi all, I have been a member for a while, but have mainly been reading what everyone else has to say. As the topic suggests I am downunder, located in Adelaide.

I am in the process of building a 15 ft boat, based on a design called a fishcat, but with some fairly radical modifications to give more deck space and some protection from the elements. Not sure if it will work but should be ready to launch soon and will see then.

That has taken me about 5 years so far, but in the meantime I have built a cedar strip canoe and a stitch and glue kayak. They were fun to do. I took the canoe to Tasmania (little island at the bottom of Australia) to launch it and got a lot of favourable comments on the way.

Ultimately I want to build the Glen-L Hurcles and power it with an electric motor and some biiiig batteries. Probably put solar panels on the cabin roof as well.

Kevin

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Welcome Kevin.

I have to say that the idea of an electric powered Hercules is very novel. I've been interested in electric cars for sometime, so to convert that thinking to boats the logical first question would be: "What kind of range are trying to achieve?"

Probably, the next question would be: "If the batteries dump far from shore, how will you get back to port?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kic259

Postby kic259 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 pm

I am still studying the requirements in terms of battery size, discharge rate, motor size resulting weight of the batteries, how much effect solar panels would have on charging, when I stop to fish, etc etc etc.

I'm not sure of the backup yet, but maybe a well for a small outboard.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”