Just Starting

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hanson-ryan

Just Starting

Postby hanson-ryan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:52 am

Well I'm a 28 year old Finish Carpenter/Project Manger from San Francisco CA. I was born and raised in Lake Okoboji IA. I have always loved the old wooden boat cruising around the lake but thought I would have to pay a fortune for one until I found this site.. I'm so excited to get started on my 22' Biscayne, OK and a little nervous to.. So just thought I would introduce myself to everyone.. Let the building begin.. Ryan Hanson

John K

Postby John K » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:19 am

welcome to the forum and Glen L. I live in Cedar Rapids for 10 years. Loved IA. Good luck on your build. A requirement is to post pictures as you go.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:24 am

John K wrote: A requirement is to post pictures as you go.

The penalty for failure is that you go to the Gathering and everyone looks at you like you've got 2 heads. I should know. My Zip had tons of photos but I lost them in a harddrive wardrobe style malfuntion. So remember that while you want to document your build, you also want to spend a little extra for those flashdrive stick thingies and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Postby John K » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:02 am

I should know. My Zip had tons of photos but I lost them in a harddrive wardrobe style malfuntion

OR at least that is dave's story and he is sticking to it. :)

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:09 am

LOL.

I'll tell you one thing, it won't be happening again on any future projects. I'll guard every little pixel with my life.

When I was building my teardrop trailer, I dutitully kept what I would consider one of the best digital logs of any project yet. I put everything on Yahoo. When I lost the zip photos, I also lost my teardrop photos but I thought Hey, I've still got those on Yahoo. Then Yahoo came along and said that all free photo posting would be done away with and everyone needed to move their photos to a different sight. They gave several options. ....none of them free. I can get prints of my own teardrop now but it will cost me somewhere around $900 if I want everything. Yup, that was lesson #2 learned.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”