Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

CB

Postby CB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Hello Boys and Girls. I’m a 59 year old tinkerer from Eufaula Al. I have 3 old boats that help me redistribute any wealth my wife gives me. I am presently finishing a barge to take artificial reefs into the Gulf of Mexico. I think I would like to build a Bearcat cuddy and have ordered the study plans. I have not been able to find any actual performance or power data and would greatly appreciate this and any other info. Thanks in advance and I’m glad to be here.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:38 pm

CB

I always need to welcome another Alabama builder. We'll want to see that boat next fall in Guntersville.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Welcome to our forum.

Bill is right. We'd love to see more and more boats show up at the Gathering.

Is it me, or are we getting more and more members from the Southeastern US all the time? I'm really amazed at all the interest in this area.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Maybe not just you Dave, seems like builders are coming out of the woodwork so to speak. To me, I am amazed how many are building the coldmolded Barrelbacks, seems like a lot of builders for those as of lately.
And a Great thing at that :D :)

kens

Re: NEW MEMBER

Postby kens » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:09 pm

CB wrote:Hello Boys and Girls. I’m a 59 year old tinkerer from Eufaula Al. I have 3 old boats that help me redistribute any wealth my wife gives me. I am presently finishing a barge to take artificial reefs into the Gulf of Mexico. I think I would like to build a Bearcat cuddy and have ordered the study plans. I have not been able to find any actual performance or power data and would greatly appreciate this and any other info. Thanks in advance and I’m glad to be here.

I dont know about that design specifically, but Catamarans usually power easily. They are very stable & carry loads well. Each hull has its own tremendous length/beam ratio which allows moderate power to move them along nicely. they also turn flat, and that feels weird to me though.

CB

Postby CB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies – The Gathering next fall might be just a tad optimistic – Possible the next one. Only been on one cat - about a 50 footer – rode smooth, turned flat, gobs of room. Looking for something smooth for my old age. Should see study plans Monday, Tuesday Thanks again.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Welcome CB

Remember,The Gathering isn't just for people with completed boats,it's for people(familys included) that have built,are building,or just have an interest in boat building.

You are so close,it would be great for you to attend.

Warren :D :wink:

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:59 am

Yes, we've had 2 gatherings now and both years, I've showed up boatless. AND they still welcome me. Go figure, huh. :oops:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Postby John K » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:59 am

Another AL builder. I am in Leesburg. Welcome.

My first build many many years ago was a modified cat. 16 ft with a 60 evinrude. Fast and stable.

coach

Postby coach » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:34 am

Hello..I'm Don from Oxford Michigan...

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:00 am

Hi Don... are any boats being built (or planned) in Oxford these days?

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

coach

Postby coach » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:13 am

Bruce Dow wrote:Hi Don... are any boats being built (or planned) in Oxford these days? Yes I have started building Teal a Phil Bolger design..

B.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:42 am

Cool boat.

here's a link:

http://www.instantboats.com/teal.htm
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

coach

Postby coach » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:45 am

Bruce Dow wrote:Cool boat.

here's a link:

http://www.instantboats.com/teal.htm
I have the link. Do you know anyone they has built Teal...Don

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Hey, I LIKE that Teal. That's a very cool boat! And you could do all kinds of things with it from sailing to rowing to canoeing. You could go camping in it.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”