Fairly New Member

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Fairly New Member

Postby RayB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:49 pm

I've been a member since June, 2008, but have been lurking for some time before that. I have been working on my first boat build for about a year now. It's not a Glen-L boat but it will be fitted out with the Glen-L sliding rowing seat and and Glen-L oars. The boat is the "LIZ" design by Ken Bassett. It's an 18' glued lapstrake pulling boat. The picture below is from October. Construction was finished then and I am now working on varnishing and painting. This is coming to an end, however, as it is getting too cold in my unheated garage. I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and we got about a foot of snow this past week. Over the winter I will complete floor boards, the sliding rowing seat, and the oars; then in the Spring I will get back to finishing up the painting - then Launching!

I am now 65. I've been retired for 10 years and moved to the Eastern Upper Peninsula about 5 years ago. I have been a life long boater and hobbiest woodworker. I grew up in the Detroit area and spent many summers running small outboards on Lake St. Clair (the sixth Great Lake). My uncle was a carpenter and fisherman; he started me on both pursuits when I was about 8 - 10 years old. I remember well those old 14' wooden clinker rental boats at the foot of Alter Road; wide, heavy, round bottom, low freeboard, and they could sure handle the rough water on the Lake.

Glad to be a part of this forum and looking forward to another boat build.

Postby upspirate » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:04 pm

welcome and beautiful boat.

I enjoy just getting out and getting into a rhythm rowing,but haven't had a decent pulling boat,just a 8' slight V bottom dinghy to do this.

I've wanted to build one of Ian Iain Oughtred's designs.The one I like( I think it's the Acorn skiff) can be built as 11' or 13'.They are available through wooden boat mag

What are you thinking about for your next build?

Postby kens » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Sweet lines on that design.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Damn you RayB :!:

Now there is another boat I want to build.

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John K

Postby John K » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:01 am

Welcome and beautiful boat. Cant wait to see it finished.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”