Greetings From Canada

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Is My Wife Crazy For Letting Me Do This?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Yes
20%
No
50%
Can I Have Your Wife's Single Sister's Phone Number?
30%

Total votes: 10

mobil300

Greetings From Canada

Postby mobil300 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Hey Guys,

Just Found The Glen-L Forum, And Am Throughly Impressed Thus Far.

A Little About Me, I'm A Member Of The Canadian Forces, Getting Ready ;To Go To Afghanistan In September 2009, Which Leaves Me Nothing Better To Do In My Free Time That To Build A Boat(I Figure I Might As Well Enjoy Myself While I'm At Home). My Gracious Wife Has Given Me The "Ok" And Even Offered To Buy Me My Plans For Christmas. So Soon, The Fun Will Begin.

Regards,

Chris

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:48 am

welcome Chris to our little corner of the web. We're glad to have you here.

Is your wife crazy to let you do this? Well, there are a million gag answers for that but in all seriousness, no. If she's anything like my wife, ....i don't know. My wife has never really had the ability to see how a stack of raw materials could be made into anything. We've been married going on 22 years. When we first got married and we were moving in, she saw my Mist Miss plans. I know that that was beyond her but she did sense that it would have hurt my feelings if she'd been negative. Now that I'm making some real progress on my Zip, she's throwing in to help and looking forward to showing it off on the lake. One thing that really helped was getting her to our Gathering last year in '07. When she saw the other guy's boats and talked with their wives, she really did change.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Postby John K » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:57 am

welcome to the forum.

There is nothing more relaxing than working with wood. And building a boat is the top on my list.

Is your wife crazy? I would not touch that with a ten foot pole.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:32 am

Chris.

Welcome to the forum. Great poll question. I voted "No". I'm married, so I couldn't take the 3rd option. There are a lot worse things a man could be doing with all those hours.

... but I don't think I'd start building a boat if I knew my wife was already crazy... that could be tough.

What are you thinking of building?

PS.

Thank you for your service.

I'm hope we can chat many times before you are deployed, so I'll save my wishes for you and your familay about that 'til later.

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

mobil300

Postby mobil300 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks For The Warm Welcome Guys, To Answer A Few Questions Right Off, I Haven't Decided Which Boat To Venture Into Yet, But I Have It Narrowed Down to 3 Choices:

20' Riviera
23' Belle Isle
28' Miss Chris

My Wife Told Me To Keep It Under 30' Because Of Our Storage Limitations, So I'm Leaning to The Large Side. But, It's A Decision That Will Clearly Not Just Come To Me Over Night.

Chris

AAARGH

Postby AAARGH » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:06 pm

I say the Riviera. you can stretch it 10% if you want a bit longer boat. Check out Mark Bronkalla's web site. look at Mark's cockpit modifications. I like what Mark did.

Paul

http://www.bronkalla.com/

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:42 pm

This is your first boat and I notice that your 3 choices all are cold-molded hulls. This is a more involved building process but if you're willing to put in the extra effort, you'll have a gorgeous boat when complete. But do a little studying up on cold-molding before taking the final plunge. The one thing about cold-molding is that you'll need to use LOTS of fasteners to hold the "planks" in place while the epoxy sets. Then you'll need to remove those fasteners. Paul (AAARGH) just gave the link to Mark Bronkalla's site. Go to Bronk's site map and find that portion of his build where he discusses his stapling of the planks. Read it through a few times. Also, there are some books on the subject such as: "The New Cold-Molded Boat Building - From Lofting to Launching" by Reuel B. Parker. I've had this book for several years and I'm still grabbing it for reference. I'm not even building a cold-molded design yet.

Remember this. The cold-molded process is necessary on any boat that calls for a compound curve in the hull.

If Canada is sending troops to Afghanistan, does this mean they're going to use BOTH tanks?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

mobil300

Postby mobil300 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:51 am

Dave Grason wrote:If Canada is sending troops to Afghanistan, does this mean they're going to use BOTH tanks?

"Both" Tanks As In Leopard C2 And Leopard 2?

Falcon

Postby Falcon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 am

>>>>>>>>>>> The Canadian Forces<<<<<<<<<<<<
Welcome and thank you for your service.
Falcon
Be who you are, say what you want those that mind don't matter an those that matter wont mind.
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/falcon6667/

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 am

mobil300 wrote:My Wife Told Me To Keep It Under 30' Because Of Our Storage Limitations, So I'm Leaning to The Large Side.....

In that case, remember to factor in the length of the trailer tongue as well.

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 am

mobil300 wrote:
Dave Grason wrote:If Canada is sending troops to Afghanistan, does this mean they're going to use BOTH tanks?

"Both" Tanks As In Leopard C2 And Leopard 2?

Ahhh Dave was trying to be funny. :roll: (he was implying we only have 2 tanks in total). Welcome aboard Chris, good luck with picking a boat plan. I think that is one of the toughest parts of boat building...well that and actually getting started :wink:

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:06 pm

novass wrote:[Ahhh Dave was trying to be funny. :roll: (he was implying we only have 2 tanks in total)

LOL, Mobil300 and I had already talked about this via PM. In the US, we percieve Canada as a very peace loving nation. Not one that gears up for war. ....hence the joke. It is NOT in any way a derrogatory jab but rather, actually a backhanded compliment.

mobil300

Postby mobil300 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 pm

For Comparison; Between The 3 Boats I Listed Earlier, And The Monte Carlo, I Was Wondering If Anyone Happens To Know What The Width Across The Transom Is On All 4?

kens

Postby kens » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:15 pm

I dunno the transom width, but there are many Riviera's, Belle Isle's , and other cold molded builds on the forum.
I would like to see a Miss Chris. The numbers on that boat interest me, a 4:1 beam/length ratio. Beautiful.
And, the wife said to keep it under 30 foot......... Forget the stretched Riviera........... Stretch the Miss Chris!!! It is calling for a big block in there, and there is no substitute for cubic inches!!!

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 am

Dave Grason wrote:
novass wrote:[Ahhh Dave was trying to be funny. :roll: (he was implying we only have 2 tanks in total)

LOL, Mobil300 and I had already talked about this via PM. In the US, we percieve Canada as a very peace loving nation. Not one that gears up for war. ....hence the joke. It is NOT in any way a derrogatory jab but rather, actually a backhanded compliment.

Besides we dont have 2 tanks we have 3...get it right...lol...J/K

(When I was in the forces way back in the late '80's - early 90's I heard lots of these jokes when we would sail with the yanks on exercise's)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”