Hi All!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

worldmac1

Hi All!

Postby worldmac1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Let me first say that I am glad I found this site! I am new to boating and even newer to building one. I bought my first boat 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. I go down to the marina 35 miles away every chance I get including to just sit on the stern and feed the ducks.

I have just a minor bit of experience working with wood. I mean, I know how to measure, cut, and fasten pieces together, but knowing what type of materials is the catch.

I'm assuming that Lowes or Home Depot do not carry marine grade lumber...sooo....where can I purchase the materials? Does Glen-L have the kits with all wood, epoxy, fasteners, and plans included?

I look forward to working with you guys, and can't wait to get started.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:00 pm

worldmac1,

Welcome!

The big box stores may have frame material. But, marine ply is the real problem. Please add to you profile where you are located. Others can help you locate suppliers. Just today went and looked at exterior ply for a minor build. Too many voids!

It's an on going problem for me.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Edmundson on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian Eager

Postby Brian Eager » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Welcome to the forum!

As you research the site a bit more you will learn what can be supplied by Glen-L, and what you will need to source locally. Generally speaking, you can get the plans, patterns, fasteners, hardware, adhesives and fiberglass coating supplies through Glen-L. Wood for frames, long members, plywood for planking and superstructure construction would be a local purchase item.

Your local HIC (home improvement center) may be able to come up with some of the wood that you will need, but boatbuilding tends to demand higher quality stuff than you find on the floor at Lowe's and HD. Specialty lumber companies will be priced a bit higher, but they also will be more understanding about your need to sort for really good lumber.

Check with Glen-L for frame kits for specific designs. They stopped production of them over a year ago but may still have some in stock.

Once again, welcome, and best of luck with your project. Keep us posted and don't be shy about asking questions.

Brian
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

kens

Postby kens » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:12 pm

try worldpanel.com.

I think they got a site in NC.

worldmac1

Postby worldmac1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks fellas....I am still in the planning stages, but hope to get started after the first of the year....

Again, Great Site!

Kens, I'm checking out the site you recommended, and they do serve the NC area. I also found a few more links here on the Glen-L resources page...Preesh! :D
Live from Tobacco Road!

1984 SeaRay 245 Sundancer

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”