Fancy Free builders...

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

gerrardo

Fancy Free builders...

Postby gerrardo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am

Hello to all, I'm Gerrard O'Leary and am in the rediculous state of mind of thinking that I want to build a wooden yacht!!!

In fact I have plans to build a Fancy Free and would like to hear from anyone who has actually built one with some feedback on her sailing qualities... what's she like; upwind, across wind, downwind...does she heel dramatically? (wife's question).

Any feedback would be great, thanks

Gerrard

John K

Postby John K » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

I have not built the fancy free, but maybe there is someone on the forum that has.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:30 am

Welcome.

Very pretty boat,don't know anyone on the forum that's building one right now,but maybe check project registry or contact Glen-l & see if you can find some contact info for past builders.

Most Glen-l boats have similar construction methods & details,so a lot of questions about building can & will be answered here.

Good luck

warren

Dave Grason

Re: Fancy Free builders...

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 am

gerrardo wrote:Hello to all, I'm Gerrard O'Leary and am in the rediculous state of mind of thinking that I want to build a wooden yacht!!!

Aw, you're just hanging around with the wrong people. No one here thinks it's rediculous at all. :wink:

gerrardo wrote:...does she heel dramatically? (wife's question).

It's amazing to me how many women bring this issue up. Tell your wife it's like a weeble. It'll wobble but it won't fall down.

I used to have a Hobie 14 when I was a kid. One of the most fun things you can do on a catamaran like that is to get it on a long reach and fly one hull. When that windward hull pops out of the water, the sudden acceleration can be a real hoot. I got real good at rudder and mainsail control because, of course, when you're flying a hull you do NOT want anything to be where you can't react quickly. That's the only time you get in trouble.

So a few years ago, my wife and I were in Destin, Fla for vacation and we rented a Hobie 14. When I flew a hull on that boat, I thought my wife was going to climb the mast in a hysterical panic. WHODATHUNKIT?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”