New Member, New Boat

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Escargot18

New Member, New Boat

Post by Escargot18 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Hello Group,
I have about finished building an 18.5’ Escargot canal boat designed by Phil Thiel of Seattle. Although this is not a Glen-L design (I do have 20-year-old Glen-L Lucky Pierre plans I may still build some day) I would still like to chat with other homebuilders to pick up some tips and maybe learn a thing or two.

I picked the Escargot design because it is ideal for the calm rivers and bayous around here but I didn’t want something as large as houseboat. I hope to join the “Gathering” later on this year and have been told that non-Glen-L designs were tolerated there.

Thank you,
John Cockerham
Grand Bay, Alabama

http://www.john-cindy.com/escargot.htm

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Member, New Boat

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 pm

John,

You are certainly welcome here!

Glen-L sponsors this about builders! For the gathering, I think the Lakeside Cabins are booked out. But, the Chalets up on the Mountain are nice also. The Lodge has just been renovated and is nice also. You really want to be at the State Park.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Now THAT is a different kind of boat.

Is it powered? with what?

You said we "tolerate" non Glen-L Designs at the Gathering. We like to think we "Welcome" them.

We hope to see you there!
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Escargot18

Post by Escargot18 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi Bruce,
Although the original version is pedal powered, I bought a Nissan 6 HP with a 25” shaft to power mine. The state inspector is coming by next Friday to inspect the boat and assign it a hull number and then I can register it and see how it floats.
John

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:54 pm

tolerated schmolerated. I would LOVE to see that boat at the Gathering. Please bring it. We like to look at anything built by folks with the same mindset as us.

This past year's Gathering had a young fellow from the Chattanooga area bringing in a beautiful kayak that he'd built on Sunday. Ok, he didn't build it on Sunday, he brought it the Gathering on Sunday. It was not a Glen either but that didn't stop folks from rushing over and unloading the thing before he could drive off. I think he was a little nervous about it not being a Glen design but this was a Gathering of Boatbuilders. Hey, we HAD to get a look at it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 am

Welcome John,

If you want to,someone last year stayed on their boat at the dock.

Don't know what space you have in the cabin,or if that's your thing,but that looks like it's doable with your boat.

Look forward to meeting you & seeing your creation!!

Warren

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”