another beginner

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

sunflounder

another beginner

Post by sunflounder »

Howdy builders;

Having progressed on my Bull's Eye from 'beautiful craft work' (inspired by some of the board photos) to 'practice build' (one needs some reason to go on) I am contemplating putting bottom paint and a waterline on her.

I guess this is hardly practical on a boat whose crew weight is twice the boat wt. and will live on a rack in my back yard, but hey, call it exploring the concept for the next build with actual waterlines or maybe just some relief from the endless fairing : ).

At any rate, I thought I could float it on a large blow up wading pool but am at a loss for how to actually mark up the lines even on a calm day in a wading pool, anybody tried this with such a small craft?

Speaking of fairing I found this comforting quote from Peter Grons website http://members.shaw.ca/pgron/index.htm (alas non Glen-L build, but fairing is universal)

• obsessively and repeatedly fill and sand a surface in an attempt to blend it seamlessly with the surrounding area until one is staring into the dark, gaping, bottomless maw of insanity

Thanks fellow builders for providing the will persevere

DaveA

upspirate

Re: another beginner

Post by upspirate »

I've heard that if you pour sawdust in the water,and lift the hull out carefully,it will cling to the hull and show where the waterline is.

Blow up pool is lucky,try that with a 24'mahogany Glen-L!!! :lol: :wink: :roll:

Send pics,we'd love to see them

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Will you simulate the weight of the crew before you mark the lines? Actually, if you can reach the hull while it's in the water (from outside the pool or wading in shallow water for a bigger boat) just put a tick mark at the stem and one at each side of the transom. Haul the boat out and then use one of those handy laser line generators to connect the dots. Gotta be really close, and hey, water seldom holds still anyway.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Upspirate;

Thanks for the suggestion, sawdust I have plenty of just need some steady lifters. I'll try and get my picture collection together real soon now :|
You powerboat guys get to do all the heavy lifting :0

Brian;

I think I'll try to mark the waterline (somehow) with no crew but with spars, oars, etc. sort of like it was tied up to a dock for a week (no dock or week or even off street parking currently in the offing though, the dream, the dream : )
I did buy the wading pool on sale at local RiteAid drugstore and should be able to reach the boat all right, will try and get sure to be hilarious pictures of the scene : ) of course I need to get a decent seal coat on the as yet to be faired hull first ...

I guess I should be posting my questions on the sail page from now on.

See you there

DaveA

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger »

Welcome Dave,

I see we have similar thoughts on fairing. Most of full-time fairers I've known are a bit....off. :wink:
Quick question....why bother with a w/l on a daysailer ?

Next time you've got someone on board, get 'em to stand in the water with a pencil before you head out...
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”