Hello from new user, and question about boatbuilding sites

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JohnK

Hello from new user, and question about boatbuilding sites

Post by JohnK »

Hello,
I'm a new member, planning to build a boat in the Long Beach CA area. It seems that the Elephant In The Room for amateur boatbuilders is obtaining a place to build your boat. All the literature just glosses over that subject, as if, of course, it's a no-brainer and everybody has a placeto do that! I don't have a house with a back yard, and anyway, in a city area, backyard boatbuilding probably has its legal limits regarding size. I'm hoping to build a 26 foot Hankinson Fred Murphy.

I would like to hear from anyone about their solutions to this problem, and any guidance or contacts you might have for affordable boat building places in my area or any large city area.

Thanks in advance,
John Kimmich
San Pedro CA

Oyster

Re: Hello from new user, and question about boatbuilding sites

Post by Oyster »

Welcome and good luck with your quest. I am not sure though or have never heard of any plan sellers that has ever been responsible for the part about building space.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

welcome aboard. Possibly you will have to rent a space to build in. I know the added expense is something most of us would rather avoid but with that said I would find it motivating to work on the project so that I could limit the amount I pay on rent. When its just in your garage or back yard its no problem letting it sit for long periods of time without any work taken place but if I had a monthly bill to pay (rent) for the space the boat was in I would be working on it as much as resonably possible to get the boat out of there.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Welcome,

When I wanted to build a Glen-L boat in 1984,I lived on a sailboat so no building space.

We rented a 12X25 workshop/garage for one month to build the boat( I had 2 weeks off and I figured we would get-er done in a month as it was a small boat).

The boat was finished 1 1/2 yr later(we took lots of gaps in working on it),but we later moved into a 25X25 unit as we found it handy to store things and got into building street rods too.

We had the rental from May 1984 til May 1992 when we bought a house!!!

Anyway you could rent some space,just be better about it than we were!! :wink: :roll:

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

John,

We don't have listings of places to build, but you are about 20 minutes from our office--you're welcome to stop by. Not to build your boat, mind you, but to say hi! Welcome to our board...
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater »

I would check around in the industrial area of town. I found several places to choose from for rent ranging anywhere from $100 to $750 per month. There is lots of vacant industrial/storage place out there right now. And what Nova said is true, the expense is a good motivation to complete the build.

That being said, the addiction set in. I've got six boats in my garage right now in various stages of build. Beware of the addiction...

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Oyster wrote:Welcome and good luck with your quest. I am not sure though or have never heard of any plan sellers that has ever been responsible for the part about building space.
No, Oyster, I sure wouldn't expect the plan sellers or anyone except me to be responsible for the building space. I am trying to get a sense of how other builders have solved the problem of building space, and to see if anyone can furnish any ideas. For me, finding a space to build in is the major hurdle to getting started, and it seems that it would be so for other builders. So if you have any good ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Well you elude to the subject of a building site quite strongly and did place an exclamation point to your initial inquiry as if there should be a list of sorts. :wink: Anyway...
Elephant In The Room for amateur boatbuilders is obtaining a place to build your boat. All the literature just glosses over that subject, as if, of course, it's a no-brainer and everybody has a placeto do that!

One of the biggest problems that I see with home building projects is that when people start out, the eagerness outweighs the notion that a substantial enclosure should be at the top of the list. These projects even the smallest ones require more time that what they appear especially for the first time builder. Neighborhoods also frown on beating and banging and grinding even in the best of buildings if you live in a developed area or community. What I intended to elude to was that there can be a libary filled with types of structures and I can't fathom how any of this can be addressed with such a wide variety of situations.

As others spoke about, renting does make you work a bit quicker because of keeping the costs down, but this also seems to drag the project out too, as you have to make a point to drive to the facility.

In gluing parts, and even in the painting process, there are times that a fifteen minute job would be accomplished if your project was close or in your own facility at home while its a chore to drive to another building far away for a small job, creating a two edged sword for the pluses of having a nice and enclosed structure.

Keep in mind that in many cases when you rent a space, insurance maybe required, especially if its in some commercial complex, or has been my experience, liability and fire insurance. I would strongly recommend that you do find a secure place and not attempt to do your project in some most temporary place in the yard for sure. What happens is that you do end up doing work and then redo the same work because of some leak or the elements including the sun will get to some unfinished parts. That boat will take some time to complete, and unless you can work on it faithfully full time, a 26 foot boat will consume several years easily.

electric tug

Post by electric tug »

Hi John,
im Doug- new on here- from Canada, great lakes region..land of awesome boating waters i.e. georgian bay!!..anyway
i had the same problem as you did. there are a few solutions. the thing to think of here is intuitive creativity. This is an opportunity to allow your intuition to guide you. When you are really serious--the answer will come , doors will open..intention is the key..its hard to explain sorry but know..you can make it happen.
ok are you near water?..there are many marinas that will help you out--i found a few here..you might have to pre-assemble your frames and cut some steel then move it to the site. phenagle a way to let them allow you to weld.

find a farm. ask farmers to help you with a shed and in return you work out a deal for an exchange of services..maybe he needs a trailer welded or tractor parts fixed?
also if your near water..you could build a barge on plastic barrels. did you know - that no one owns the water?..no one can tell you you cannot built it on the water! hence if it is like in canada , no one can tell you where to anchor an offshore platform. you build it 20 x 30 with barrels then sink the barrels to launch. yes it costs a bit more but you can build that for under 1000.00 witha cheap supply of barrels...i did that too thankgiving weekend on teh trent severn waterway here. no one said a word and in two days my platfrom was launched. i did make a houseboat out of that.
you can tie up anywhere there is crown land or even private if no one lives there...unless they say to move...and there are - rivers, lagoons etc. anywhere there is a piling even. i built my first boat on the side of a river bank where few people would come by to complain.
if you have the money buy or rent a genset for your welder. then you can built it on abandoned jetties riverbanks beaches anywhere...get permission but it shouldnt be a problemif your good at PR.

put an ad in the paper saying you need a small space. i built my second boa,t prefabricated it- frames and all in a motel room!! I assembled it in the spring, launched it and built the rest of the boat while afloat!
find old warehouses?...ask neighbours, make freinds with a yacht club and tell members your story...
you will find the solution. btw you can prefab a LOT of parts for the vessel before you have to lay it up--ie even the jig can be mocked up in a smal space or outside in a day!! the frames can be cutout and welded up and transported to a site or marina etc..
there are many ways...
best of luck and dont give up over the space problem, thats like not going to school cuz you cant afford books!
it'll work itself out trust me!
btw im building the fred murphy in the spring...and through a series of events unplanned, i ended up living in a house near georgian bay with ten acres of usable space. now i can build anything i want. you will too!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”