Monte Carlo Wednesday Build

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

dsolaro

Monte Carlo Wednesday Build

Post by dsolaro »

I have been building the Monte Carlo since January 2007 almost every Wednesday evening with my father. I thought that it was about time I finally joined the forum which has been extremely helpful during the build. As soon as I figure things out I will post some pictures. I am building in Reno, Nevada. Thank you for the help.
Dave Solaro
Monte Carlo - Mercoledi
Reno, NV

jamundsen

Re: Monte Carlo Wednesday Build

Post by jamundsen »

thats great news. We (me anyway) need another Monte Carlo builder withn pics and info. (ok so I'll have to post some pics as well)
Glad youre here
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Welcome,

If the pics are small enough,you can post them as an attachment to your post,just look at the box below where you type and see where to add files.

If it's too big,it will tell you and someone else can help you from there.

warren

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Hi dsolero.

Welcome to the forum.

I am just about to pack the car to start the 16 hour drive to the Gathering in Alabama.

My father will be riding shotgun.

I cannot express what a great experience it was for me to work with my dad on this build. We didn't specifically set out to do a "father-son thing"... it just turned out that way. I asked him over a few times to help with some of the tasks that needed a second set of hands. The next thing I knew, I had a full partner in the build.

He is about ten times more proud of the boat than I am... It is a little embarrassing sometimes... but I get over it...

Enjoy the special opportunity you have.

Bruce.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

I built my first boat (an 8 foot sailing dinghy - links in my signature) with my dad, usually on Sundays. The Sunday builds are where I learned what little woodworking skills I have now. And the build with my dad is how I gained the confidence and drive to start a boat of my own.

I'll bet there are tens more users on this forum that have enjoyed building with their dad. Next time you retire to your C&C, crack open a beer and toast to boat-building with Dad.

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater »

I was in my dad's garage one day and asked what he was going to do will all the wood just sitting in the rafters. I told him I wanted to build a boat. "Build a boat then!" He said.

That was in November of 2006 when I began building Lil Woody - a strip planked center console. He would peek in the garage periodically and check on me. Gradually he peeked a little more often until he wound up sitting in with me every day I worked. Sometimes he helped when he could (woodworking was not his thing) but most often we just talked while I built.

I finished that build and told him I wanted to build a Tubyy Tug for his granddaughter. He was there every day. The smile on his face when he watched the video of my daughter in her Tug was priceless.

Dad passed away in August. I knew he was proud but did not realize how proud until at the funeral when many of his friends came up to me "So you're the boatbuilder". I could only smile. I would not trade the last three years of boat building with my dad for anything in this wide world. These are the memories that most men are never fortunate enoough to have.

Good Luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

dsolaro

Post by dsolaro »

It is interesting to see how many father/son/daughter builders there are. When I say that we are building this boat together, it is really me doing the work, and my father being the supervisor. He built a Missile when he was in high school. His always talking about that boat is what started this endeavor in the first place, only I was the one to pick the design that we would work on.
Dave Solaro
Monte Carlo - Mercoledi
Reno, NV

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Dave,if you can dig up any old shots of your father's missle and scan them,we'd love to see them too.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

KB

Great story. Wish I could have shared it. My dad died before I did a real build. :( My step son never wanted to share anything with me. :(

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”