New Building Gentry

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jaredstjohn

New Building Gentry

Post by Jaredstjohn »

I got the plans today and I am starting today! I am a little nervous about transferring these patterns to the plywood pattern board, any tips would be appreciated

DaveLott

Re: New Building Gentry

Post by DaveLott »

Hey Jared - Welcome.

The easiest way is to use carbon paper. You can buy it at your office supply. Glen-L has a supply as well.

Be sure to use 2 sheets - one facing down and one facing up. You can use any number of items: pencils, pattern tracing wheels, pointed sticks (you name it) to simply trace the pattern to the wood. The carbon paper facing up transfers the pattern to the back of your plans. You will need that when you lay out your frames later.

Also, iron or stretch out the fold wrinkles in the plans. Small errors will develop because of those folds if you don't.

And post pics please

Good luck

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Welcome Jared.

It will be great to see watch another Gentry build....

If you have not already got it, I STRONGLY recomend you get the book "Boatbuilding with Plywood"... It provides lots of details, diagrams, and pictures on how do do most/all of the steps you will follow along the way. It was on my bedside table for two years.

Here is a recent thread on the topic of transferring patterns....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9448
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

BTW Bruce - You did an excellent job on that forum describing the procedure.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Jaredstjohn

Post by Jaredstjohn »

Thank you for the information I will get the carbon paper today. I bought white oak from a local saw mill about a week ago, $2.26 per board ft. I was expecting to pay much more than that. This is my second boat the first was a mini most that I had found plans in a attic of a old house that was being torn down. That was so much fun I decided to do it again but I am not sure if I have the skills to do this one but I'm going to try! The fun for me is building I only took my other boat to the lake once and now it just sits there in the barn

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

For some, it IS as much about the journey as the destination.

Where are you from? If you get a chance, you could include that information in your profile.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Jaredstjohn

Post by Jaredstjohn »

I'm from Justin Texas i'll fill out the profile as soon as I can, it's a little hard from an iPhone

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

There are helpful articles under newsletter archives on the main site, and under boatbuilding methods on the main site.

This was under methods:

http://www.glen-l.com/methods/how-to-patt.html

If you haven't already got it,for signing up to the monthly newsletters,they will send you a boatbuilding 101 PDF file with lots of info.

You should also order boatbuilding with plywood book

As far as patterns,it's a good idea to transfer to a cheap sheet like paneling,doorskin,...I've even bought marked down stuff cause the edge was damaged, whatever is cheap at the box store.
Then transfer the pattern to this and cut this out to use as a pattern to lay out on your good wood.This way you can fit the pieces to best advantage.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

It's also a good idea to transfer the pattern to a sheet of 3/4" ply to assemble your frames onto.

either use blocks or screws or use long staples to hold the pieces in position on this ply till fastened and/or the epoxy hardens,then remove fasteners.

Always lay plastic or wax paper on the work piece so the frames won't stick when removed

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

I don't suppose you're related to any St.Johns from the Portland, OR area?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Jaredstjohn

The Gentry is a boat I would love to build and have. It just doesn't meet my needs or current wants. The construction is much like other cold mold boats. I hope you will find us helpful. Have fun with your build and don't take yourself too serious!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jaredstjohn

Post by Jaredstjohn »

I dont know if any relatives are in Portland or not, my Great Great grandfather was Chris Smith who started Chris Craft Boats. My great Grandfather was JW Smith and his daughter (my grandmother)married a St. John who was a homebuilder in Algonac Michigan. So if the St. Johns you know are from Algonac than maybe we are related. I guess the reason I love building boats is because of the family history :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Quite a history too.

Are you going to the statue dedication ceremony there this summer?

Jaredstjohn

Post by Jaredstjohn »

I dont know anything about it please tell me.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”