I'm joining the club

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rbrandenstein

I'm joining the club

Post by rbrandenstein » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi.
My name is Bob and I live in Ballwin, Missouri, which is a suburb west of St. Louis. I enjoy golf, tennis and woodworking. I am also a die hard do-it-yourselfer and enjoy fixing things.

I have always been interested in boats and for many years it has been a goal of mine to build one myself. I remember when I was little I tried to convince my dad to help me build a boat. However, at that age it meant for dad to build it and I would get to use it. Later in life, after moving to Massachusetts my wife and I got into sailing and owned a Hunter 25. In 1977, we moved to St. Louis and sold the Hunter. Sailing can be a challenge in this area, as you either have the Mississippi river with a five knot current or a few lakes. So, I lowered my sights and decided I wanted to build the Shellback dinghy from plans that Woodenboat sells and sail it on Creve Coeur lake in metro St. Louis, pretty close to home.

Well, that changed when we bought a condo at the Lake of the Ozarks, which included a slip in the dock. Now I needed a power boat! Due to garage size restrictions, I bought the Malahini plans from Glen-L. It should just fit.
I am currently scouting for materials and finishing up some remodeling at our home. St. Louis is not a very good location for marine plywood. I've found some great hardwood at Schaller Hardwoods, but no luck on plywood. I wanted to build my frames first before I ordered all the marine plywood. I hate to order it all upfront and then have to store it.

I've been reading all the information on Glen-L's site and this forum. It is really a wealth of great information and I look forward to getting your help and also provide my insights, solutions and pictures, when I get there.

BruceDow

Re: I'm joining the club

Post by BruceDow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Welcome!

The Malahini is a great boat.

We look forward to tracking your progress and helping however we can.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Welcome fellow statesman- you have joined probably the friendliest and helpful "club" in existence. There exists a special comraderie with the souls that build their own boat regardless of level of expertise in woodworking or craftmanship. It really is all about building a boat - period. And that makes you different.

I have a son living over in Forest Grove off of Grand in St. Louis so I am up in your neck of the woods regularly.

I live down on Table Rock Lake. Wow, Lake of the Ozarks - talk about boat activity!!!.

There are a number of Malahini builds in progress. One is being flipped over near Tulsa on the 20th whether it is ready or not. I am going to make sure of that!!!

It appears the standard table of fare for frame material is white oak in our parts. If you choose to use it be sure to study the forums about white oak and epoxy so you don't have any issues with adhesion.

Good luck, keep the pics and questions coming

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Welcome. I was in the same 'boat' (puns.. got to love em) as you are about five months ago. I am also building the Malahini... a little bit every week.

In my case I ordered all the lumber (4/4 Sapele) and marine plywood (Meranti BS 1088) all at the same time from the same supplier to get the best deal on rate and shipping. So far no issues with storage, and I am going through the lumber pretty quick... plywood will be quite soon as well. I've kept my materials in my garage, that I heat up when I work (for winter construction) and only had one twist in the bunch so far (lumber, not ply).

I picked the Malahini for a 4 seater, that I could build in my garage without kicking my wife's van out in the winter cold (which would have been a deal breaker) however my car did get the boot for the boat space.

You are sure to find a lot of help here when you need it. Just ask.. as many times as you need, like I do regularly ;)

Welcome aboard... please send us a photo as you go along, its fun to see other builds, inspirational.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:12 am

HI and welcome, sounds like a great spot you got there I am sure the Malahini will be right at home.

SkinnySKiff

Post by SkinnySKiff » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 am

Welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out and learn. I do this a lot, while I am at my real job :wink: .

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask about anything. I know I do.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:27 pm

To all:
Thanks for the welcome and offer to help. I've been skulking around this forum for a month or so before I pulled the trigger so I almost feel that I know you guys.

Dave Lott: I read your blog and saw the issue with white oak. I am currently debating between using white oak or african mahogany for frames and battens and such. It would cost twice as much, but in the larger context of the whole boat, not a real big delta in price. I noticed you also live in the Show Me state. (Very appropriate for this forum.. "show me".) Maybe when I have some progress and you are in St. Louis visiting, we can get together.

Still no real progress except in my mind. Boat building is like the universe.. it requires space and time (and money).

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Boat building is like the universe.. it requires space and time (and money).
Actually boat building is like learning to walk , one step at a time and in some cases you stand in place until you can get your bearings or money as you mentioned it and then you proceed to take your next step foward .

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:To all:
Thanks for the welcome and offer to help. I've been skulking around this forum for a month or so before I pulled the trigger so I almost feel that I know you guys.

Dave Lott: I read your blog and saw the issue with white oak. I am currently debating between using white oak or african mahogany for frames and battens and such. It would cost twice as much, but in the larger context of the whole boat, not a real big delta in price. I noticed you also live in the Show Me state. (Very appropriate for this forum.. "show me".) Maybe when I have some progress and you are in St. Louis visiting, we can get together.

Still no real progress except in my mind. Boat building is like the universe.. it requires space and time (and money).
White Oak - just be sure to rough the surface and clamp well. The only areas I had trouble was in areas of stress and my wood was smooth from the planer. It is lot cheaper than the mahogany and just as servicable.

Also, I would be glad to stop in sometime when in St. Louis(which is regularly) Perhaps, we can get ttownshaw to ride up with me to help with the flip (that is if we can find the soul - he is buried in his garage getting ready for THE day)

Good Luck -dip the toe in the water and post pics

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I lived in St. Louis (in the Lemay, south county area) for 8 years back in the 70s. Seems like a lifetime ago. But I still have friends and visit every now and then. My brother had a sail boat that we used to take to Creve Coeur lake. That's French for "broken heart." They say that the lake was named that because it's kinda shaped like a broken heart.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

cb_build

Post by cb_build » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:37 am

This is an old thread, but hoping you still monitor it. I am in St. Louis and would like to pick your brain about where you picked up some materials and parts.
Chris
St. Louis, MO

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”