ANOTHER NEW PUGET SOUNDER

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jefffrazier

ANOTHER NEW PUGET SOUNDER

Post by jefffrazier »

Hello i must not have sent this the first time.I'm Jeff from Tacoma ,Wa. I am building the Malahini.I've already had a couple posts answered,thanks again there will be more.This is my first boat that i have owned/built.I'm a full time boat building student at Bates Tech. College in Tacoma,so i have plenty of space and all the tools i could need,but i still need advice thanks all. Jeff
Attachments
the start
the start
Workspace
Workspace

AaronStJ

Re: ANOTHER NEW PUGET SOUNDER

Post by AaronStJ »

Let me be the first to welcome you. Also from the Puget Sound region, up in Seattle. My parents live in Tacoma, near Browns Point; I'll tell my dad to keep an eye out for another gorgeous wood runabout when he's out sailing.

As for advice, we've got plenty of it. :). Here are the standards:
Buy Boatbuilding with Plywood. It's definitely worth it.
Get a good chair and cooler. Probably even more worth it.
Keep posting pictures. We love pictures.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

Hi and welcome great to see another Malahini builder they are quite popular builds at the moment.
I wish I had a boat building class when I was at school I might have stayed a bit longer, might even still be there. :lol:

Great to see a college that gives you a chance to learn this art of boat building we have nothing like that here.And when you are finished and made all your mistakes,and there will be a few you will become the teacher like us and pass on what you have learnt, So you ask away any problem you come up against one of us has already solved it, and if not we will help you come up with a solution.Best of luck and keep the photos coming.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Same here, welcome. I hail from Tacoma (more than a few decades ago). There are a couple of other builds in the hometown going as well. Try to hook up with them.

Having never owned a boat yourself I could not help but ask what prompted you to attend boat building school?

If I had known that I would have enjoyed this so much, maybe I would have attended such a school a long time ago.

But I cannot say much, I did not hunt until after my junior year pursuring my wildlife biology degree. Go figure ( yes, guys, I AM a certified degreed full of BS wildlife biologist by training and a few years of practice before President Carter $%^&)
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Welcome to our world Jeff!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

JPM98Keydet

Post by JPM98Keydet »

Welcome aboard. Nice collection of whales in the picture. Haven't seen those in ages. Have always heard of using them on the infamous "spline curve" on highway plans....
Best,
JPM

J Purcell

Post by J Purcell »

Welcome from the other new Puget Sounder! I thought there might be more from the area, but so far with Aaron, I think there are only three. Could be wrong though.

Don't know how much help I can be, but I am only a few miles away if you need something.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”