Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 am 

Greetings all. It has been a long time since I have posted, but I am not a complete stranger to at least a few of you. To jog your memories, I am the one who had the car accident at the entrance to the state park in Guntersville in 2007. I did make it to the Gathering there in 2008 with my little sailing dinghy. It was an enjoyable event. I have tried to get to the Gatherings on Nickajack but have been unable. Maybe next time.

I thought I would report that I have built another sailing dinghy. It is not a Glen-L design but thought you might enjoy seeing her nonetheless. Here is a link to an album documenting the build: https://picasaweb.google.com/1127357022 ... ry11Build#
and a small album of the boat on the water: https://picasaweb.google.com/1127357022 ... 11Sailing#

Here is one pic of the finished boat:

and another angle:

I enjoy building and have thought about a small power boat for the next build, perhaps a Squirt or Flying Saucer. Will let you know if I go that direction. Would love to make another Gathering. I am only an hour from Hale's Bar Marina.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm 

Dale

Welcome back! We always want to see builds. Hope you can make G7 this year.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm 

I am no sailor, but several years ago, I took an interest in sailing ship design and read every book in the public library on the subject (It's amazing how many naval architects live on the islands of Puget Sound).

Anyway, one of the things that mystified me most was how to identify and differentiate types of sailing ships and rigs. Too many, schooners, sloops, yawls, skiffs, brigantines, and a hundred other types of boats with lateen, gaff, lug, bermudan, square, and a hundred other types of rigging for me too remember.

But..., I'm gonna take a shot here...
Is that what is known as a...Spritsail? :?:

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:17 pm 

Hi Dale. Beautiful sailboat. I really like the design and rigging. You did a wonderful job on it, the mast alone is a work of art. I never met you, my first Gathering was the 3rd one, but I had heard of your story about the traffic accident and it is nice to hear from you. Glad to see and hear that episode didnt discourage you. Hope to meet you at a future Gathering. I will be in what I am sure will be a long line for a ride in your sailboat.

GlenL Utility
https://plus.google.com/photos/11285674 ... banner=pwa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm 

Andy Garrett wrote:
Is that what is known as a...Spritsail? :?:

It is. Simple unstayed mast. No boom and hence no getting "boomed" in the head. I'm thinking about converting to a lug sail. (I'll let you do a little investigating on that one)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 pm 

vupilot wrote:
Hi Dale. Beautiful sailboat. I really like the design and rigging. You did a wonderful job on it, the mast alone is a work of art. I never met you, my first Gathering was the 3rd one, but I had heard of your story about the traffic accident and it is nice to hear from you. Glad to see and hear that episode didnt discourage you. Hope to meet you at a future Gathering. I will be in what I am sure will be a long line for a ride in your sailboat.

Thanks. And you sure did a great job on that Zip. Maybe I should add that to my list of possible builds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hi Dale.

It is great to hear from you again.

Thanks for sharing your latest build with us. She is a beautiful craft.

B.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:03 pm 

I really like this. Is this sail boat something a first time builder could do? I was thinking I should do the little "8-Ball" first.
Ray49.