Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 am

Hi All,

I thought I would share some (small :D )progress with you on my Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop. You may recall from my new member introduction that I bought it from a friend who had completed the planking but it was un-faired.

It took a whole lot of sanding and epoxy to get her faired! and she still not perfect but its as fair as I an get it...

I just rounded over the chine and added a healthy fillet to the skeg so the fiberglass will manage the transitions around the corners.

I also just rolled on an encapsulation coat of epoxy over the whole boat. I had test rolled a small section and then tried to sand it and noticed that the sandpaper gummed up right away. So I scrubbed it with dish soap and a scotch brite pad and it got rid of the gummyness. My first run in with amine blush.

Questions: (I had a whole ton of questions until I re-re-read the Glen-L book section on fiberglassing and "How to fiberglass boats" by Ken Hankinson).
How many coats of epoxy encapsulation do you put on before you lay the fiberglass? Is one enough? Note that I used the west marine roller to apply the epoxy.
The transom will stay bright. Do you fiberglass a bright transom? I see in the glen-L book that it says that it will be transparent so it may be a good idea. How do you handle the fiberglass overlaps in this case?
They mention stapling or taping the fiberglass to keep it from moving around when applying the epoxy, what is preferred? I imagine the staples are hard to remove later?
Any other tips before I get started? I don't want to screw it up!!! :shock:
Attachments
20170104_165219.jpg
20170104_165212.jpg
2017-01-05 08_12_14-.jpg
I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Millhouse,

Glad to hear from you and your progress on the Glen-L 17. We usually put one coat of epoxy as a base coat prior to applying the fiberglass cloth. Using tape to hold it in place works well--you can remove the tape once the cloth doesn't move any more. We usually lay the cloth on the bottom in two halves, lapping over the keel and chine a couple of inches on both sides. The sides also lap the chines. Fairing of the laps can be done with thickened epoxy when the fiberglassing is done. We would fiberglass the transom that you're leaving bright.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted!
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Milhouse

Re: Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Postby Milhouse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for the info!
I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Sailboats”