Building a Glen L 17 outside

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

dpenner

Building a Glen L 17 outside

Postby dpenner » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 pm

I have the plans for the Glen-L 17 and would like to start building soon, but I do not have room in my garage. What do I need to keep in mind, and have any of you done this successfully? I figured I could get at least the hull built and fiberglassed in the warm season ( NE Ohio), maybe more.

Stuart

Re: Building a Glen L 17 outside

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am

I have not built a 17ft boat but I do have some idea of the time involved. If you are working outside there are a lot of things to consider. One being rain. The second thing is will the noise bother the locals if you work every night till 11. It might go faster if you can build some of it indoors. How much experience you have with mechanics, building, or wood work and boats will reduce the time spent learning how to use the tools and what parts need close attention and what can be rough. To be honest, in my opinion if you are building outside, it will take more than 1 summer to get the hull completed. If you only work on it weekends it could take 3 years to do the hull. If you work indoors, maybe finished in two years but as I said, I have no experience on building this boat.

Stuart

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 am

I built most of my boat in my garage. Smaller components are still built in my garage, but the boat is now outside as there is no room now in my garage. I have plenty of room outside to spray varnish, install the motor and other things. I bought a 10x20 canopy from harbor freight for somewhere around $100. I also cover up the boat with a tarp even though it is under the canopy. The boat is on a movable dolly now. Before the flip, the boat was on a movable build form. Pic below:
JIm
Attachments
20171209_160822.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 am

Consider this as well. My boat is 21 foot long and I have been able to build it in my garage which is just your average 2 car garage. A movable platform (which I didn't use) would allow you to move it around as needed. The biggest challenge I faced when building mine was working on the bow pieces as it was quite close to the back wall (1 inch). You have 4 feet less to consider so, perhaps do some additional measuring and see if it will work.

One thing I agree with here is that this will take longer to build than you think, especially if you have to work in weather , heat , or cold. So anything you can do to make that less of a problem is recommended. The main thing about these boats is be consistent, work on it every day even if only for 30 minutes. It will eventually get done if you're patient and consistent.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

dpenner

Postby dpenner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks for your comments! I should explain that as far as building in one season, I retired last May, so I have a fair amount of free time and definitely wouldn’t be out there after dark! My garage is a two car garage, but my wife’s car is in one bay. The other houses my 1928 Model A. I also have numerous woodworking tools there around the perimeter. That would be the other problem with building inside, even without the cars. Obviously neither vehicle will remain outside, like my truck does! I do have room next to my truck on a concrete side parking area. The canopy is a good idea, and we have a local Harbor Freight near us. I was thinking I would pretty much have to encapsulate (epoxy) everything as I go to provide some protection. The forms and other individual pieces I could of course manufacture inside the garage. It will take a little planning to push it on through, but I’m thinking it could be done.

dpenner

Postby dpenner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am

One other question for Jimbob. I assume you designed and built your movable carriage yourself? Any chance of seeing another picture or two of it? That would work well for me too, I think.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

I agree with the harbor freight carport

I have used these to extend my workshop on the cheep; granted I am in So Cal not the Mid West (any more :lol: )

I am eager to see another Glen L 17' under way. I am been procrastinating on mine for a while now (see link below). Wonder who will flip first!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Sailboats”