Catalina 22 repairs

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Locutus

Catalina 22 repairs

Post by Locutus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm making some upgrades and repairs to my Catalina 22. Right now I'm replacing the companionway framing and crib boards, which are the original teak, 42 years old and in bad shape. Teak is very expensive and to buy the ready-made ones from Catalina Direct are about $600.00. So I'm making them myself out of Sapele mahogany instead.

My question is: Are there any reasons I should, or should not varnish the frame (slots), or the crib boards themselves? Teak is typically just oiled periodically but I'm afraid the same practice may not be suitable for mahogany. I was planning to treat the finished pieces with penetrating epoxy (made from S3 Silvertip and xylene), then after full cure topping with several coats of Captain's Spar Varnish which I already happen to have on hand.

I'm also thinking of replacing the companionway hatch tracks and handrails, which are in similar rough shape. Any reasons why I should reconsider using the same material (Sapele) and treatment (Varnish over epoxy)?

Edit:
The boat will be kept on its trailer and under cover when not in use, so I'm not worried about excessive weathering of the varnish.

DrBryanJ

Re: Catalina 22 repairs

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Sapele encapsulated with epoxy and coated with varnish for uv protection should work nicely. There have been issues with certain types of varnish not curing over epoxy. Check through the forum and you should be able to find the discussion.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:47 am

The epoxy will protect the wood, but if you are mounting the wood to surfaces where moisture gets trapped like the grooves you mentioned the one part varnish may bubble up. May be better opting with a 2part varnish.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for your responses DrBryan and Billy. Good idea on the 2-part varnish, but I'm trying to save money on this repair. The cheapest 2-part marine varnish I saw online in a quick search is over 80 bucks a quart. So I think I'll use the varnish I have on hand and if peeling or bubbling become an issue I can always sand them down and apply a different varnish later. I don't think it will be a problem though since I'll be keeping it under cover when not in use. I was more worried about the varnished boards being sticky in the varnished slots. Perhaps I can mitigate this possibility by roughing up the slots with a bit of sanding.

So far it looks like this project will cost about $100 in materials using Sapele and materials on hand, versus about $600 buying the teak frame and crib board set from Catalina Direct. This does not include the cabin top handrails and companionway hatch tracks, which I haven't decided on yet.

I have an idea to customize the boards too, to make them really pop. I'll share before & after photos, after I finish.

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm

yes a good place to save if you already have the materials on hand.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website