Catalina 22 repairs

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Locutus

Catalina 22 repairs

Post by Locutus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm making some upgrades and repairs to my Catalina 22. Right now I'm replacing the companionway framing and crib boards, which are the original teak, 42 years old and in bad shape. Teak is very expensive and to buy the ready-made ones from Catalina Direct are about $600.00. So I'm making them myself out of Sapele mahogany instead.

My question is: Are there any reasons I should, or should not varnish the frame (slots), or the crib boards themselves? Teak is typically just oiled periodically but I'm afraid the same practice may not be suitable for mahogany. I was planning to treat the finished pieces with penetrating epoxy (made from S3 Silvertip and xylene), then after full cure topping with several coats of Captain's Spar Varnish which I already happen to have on hand.

I'm also thinking of replacing the companionway hatch tracks and handrails, which are in similar rough shape. Any reasons why I should reconsider using the same material (Sapele) and treatment (Varnish over epoxy)?

Edit:
The boat will be kept on its trailer and under cover when not in use, so I'm not worried about excessive weathering of the varnish.

DrBryanJ

Re: Catalina 22 repairs

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Sapele encapsulated with epoxy and coated with varnish for uv protection should work nicely. There have been issues with certain types of varnish not curing over epoxy. Check through the forum and you should be able to find the discussion.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:47 am

The epoxy will protect the wood, but if you are mounting the wood to surfaces where moisture gets trapped like the grooves you mentioned the one part varnish may bubble up. May be better opting with a 2part varnish.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for your responses DrBryan and Billy. Good idea on the 2-part varnish, but I'm trying to save money on this repair. The cheapest 2-part marine varnish I saw online in a quick search is over 80 bucks a quart. So I think I'll use the varnish I have on hand and if peeling or bubbling become an issue I can always sand them down and apply a different varnish later. I don't think it will be a problem though since I'll be keeping it under cover when not in use. I was more worried about the varnished boards being sticky in the varnished slots. Perhaps I can mitigate this possibility by roughing up the slots with a bit of sanding.

So far it looks like this project will cost about $100 in materials using Sapele and materials on hand, versus about $600 buying the teak frame and crib board set from Catalina Direct. This does not include the cabin top handrails and companionway hatch tracks, which I haven't decided on yet.

I have an idea to customize the boards too, to make them really pop. I'll share before & after photos, after I finish.

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm

yes a good place to save if you already have the materials on hand.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 pm

As promised, here are photos of my repairs and upgrades (so far). First up, the mast. Because I got impatient and tried to raise the mast in my yard without checking the owner's manual, without mechanical leverage and without consulting You Tube, I ended up damaging the step end where the pin goes through. I should have had the rear lower and upper shrouds attached to the deck first, and used the main sheet for mechanical leverage. Here's the damage:
IMG_0757.JPG
$250.00 repair, better than original:
IMG_0846.JPG

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Next up, the galley. Here's how it was as purchased:
IMG_0775.JPG
The pressurized alcohol stove does not work. So I removed it and installed a wooden cutting board. And it neatly fits two of these little butane stoves. (The double burner stoves are too long.) But for safety I'll have to turn one backwards so that the canister does not sit between two burners. I also removed the original hand pump faucet and replaced it with one from Amazon, but I miscalculated and it does not clear the cockpit bench so I can no longer slide it back under. I'll probably have to rebuild the original. Catalina Direct does not carry replacement.
IMG_0779.JPG
Last edited by Locutus on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Now for the companionway boards. The original boards and frames were in pretty bad condition:
IMG_0807.JPG
The teak replacements are obscenely expensive. The white ones are affordable but lack character. So I decided to custom build them myself. With teak as expensive as it is (if you can even find it) I decided to go with Sapele mahogany. The boards I found were slightly too narrow so I added maple accent strips. (Holly wasn't available.) To prevent warp and twist I also ripped the mahogany boards in half, flipped one of each pair and glued them together with the maple strip in the middle.

Clamped at glue-up. (Note the two "poor man's" long clamps made from threaded rod, hex nuts and scrap wood, about $6 each):
IMG_0806.JPG
Sanded:
IMG_0802.JPG
Last edited by Locutus on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 pm

The varnished boards and frames, installed. They're not quite finished...they need a few more coats of varnish. I used Pettit Z-Spar Captain's 1015 varnish.
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG

Some of the other upgrades I've made so far:

--Rewired mast.
--LED lighting, except nav and steaming light (LEDs didn't fit fixtures).
--Removed portable outboard tank from port locker to cockpit for safety. In it's place I rigged up an anchoring system that includes second line with slide and 8 lb ball lead weight. This allows you to use less scope and also provides plenty of "spring" to your rode. Anchor is 10 KG Bruce, with 20 ft chain and 180 ft of rode.
--Got the long shaft 1970s era Mercury outboard running. 7.5 HP. Sometimes stalls at idle though. Not a good thing when trying to dock.
--Installed automatic bilge pump and three-way switch.
Last edited by Locutus on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Also installed compass and GPS. For the GPS I needed a swing-arm mount. These are quite expensive to buy, so I went down to Everett Steel and picked up $6.00 worth of scrap steel, went to Dunn Lumber for some fittings and fasteners, and for a total of about $15 fabricated a mount myself.
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 am

Nice work. I always love seeing these type of projects. Great job on the swivel mount and companionway door.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Nice work on the Catalina 22. Those are fantastic sailboats. My first time sailing was on a 22! Great size for a small crew and really fast on the water. Best of luck with your restoration project!

dbischa

Post by dbischa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:33 am

mrintense wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 am
Nice work. I always love seeing these type of projects. Great job on the swivel mount and companionway door.
Agreed, well done with the cash savings :D

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:06 am

Nice work so far. Amazing what you can do with a little imagination and so elbow grease.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I've found retrieving at the ramp to be troublesome because the boat has to be floated onto the bunks and the retracted keel has to at the same time be aligned with a groove for it in the trailer's cradle. Positioning the trailer deep enough to float the boat onto the bunks puts the keel higher than the groove so alignment has been difficult. So I went down to my favorite scrap metal supplier, Everett Steel in Woodinville, picked up some square tube and round rod, and welded myself up a pair of guide rails. Cushioned with plumber's pipe insulation and Gorilla Tape. I'm an amateur at welding and only have a little hobby stick welder so my welds are pretty ugly, but strong. Hopefully my next retrieval will go more smoothly.

IMG_0847.JPG