Amigo Cronic Hairline crack

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

ButchSL

Amigo Cronic Hairline crack

Post by ButchSL » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am

I have a hairline crack in the hull through the epoxy where the lead ballast meets the wood stem. I dug it out filled it with epoxy and it reappears. So my Amigo is on the hard and I am trying to fix this for good. Dig it out wide and cover with thick fiberglass wrapped from the starboard to port, screwed in, epoxied with G-Flex.

There is a very small leak in the bilge from this, about a cup a month when the boat is in the water for a while.

Don't how to send a picture from my computer.

Stan (Butch) Lapetz

ButchSL

Re: Amigo Cronic Hairline crack

Post by ButchSL » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am

will send pictures when I figure it out.

Stan (Butch) Lapetz

TomB

Re: Amigo Cronic Hairline crack

Post by TomB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:21 am

At the bottom of the "post a reply" is a tab "attachments". Go there and click the "add files" button and select the file.

That joint is a tough one, there is a huge stress load on the joint. I think there are only two types, those that crack, and those that haven't cracked yet. For what its worth, I would back the keel bolts off enough to open the joint, seal the wood with epoxy, coat the joint with 5200 and draw the joint back together. 5200 will forgive a little flex in the joint and keep the water out, epoxy/glass won't.

Tom