Requesting assistance with building my Bull's Eye

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Rob Kenchu

Requesting assistance with building my Bull's Eye

Post by Rob Kenchu »

I'm sorry, this is going to be some very dumb questions, as I'm very new to this whole thing.

The first of what I'm sure will surely be a number of silly questions is this: why do I have two different sized bolts to secure the mast support to the bow seat on my sprit rig setup? Where am I to be putting bolts on this that requires 4 bolts of two different lengths?

billy c

Re: Requesting assistance with building my Bull's Eye

Post by billy c »

Looks like 2 for clamping the mast and the other for thru bolting into the bow seat
Attachments
3F193BF8-18D0-4940-A3C9-D16F032ADE90.png
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

There are indeed two that secure the mast into the support which are 5/16th in diameter. But of the four that secure the mast support itself to the seat, they are 1/4 in diameter, but two are 3 inches long, and two are 5 inches long. I don't understand why, since all four seem to go through the same amount of material.

billy c

Post by billy c »

2 must go thru cleats. where the seat meets the bulkhead there must be a cleat there? ...and at the mid point or junction of the bow, hence the longer bolts?

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

I've really done myself in this time.

My seat tops aren't level, so my thwart won't lay flat. It's about 5/8th of an inch off the seats on the insides and it's flat against the seams on the outsides.

How on earth can I fix this?

Edit:
I assume the thwart is structurally important. If it's not, than it's easy peasy, but I think it is, so I'm in a pretty bad way. Spacers might do, but it'll be difficult to fasten it all together since I don't have screws long enough to go through everything.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Rob-
...posting a picture of this would be helpful. often framing members have to be faired to yield a flat surface before joining. It sounds like this is what's happening.
Billy

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

That's reasonable. As it stands right now, my plan is to grind a bevel into the thwart and fit it that way. I can secure it into the seat end and seat side cleats that way. It's not ideal, but I think it'll work. I think I can only upload one photo at a time, so I'll post a detail photo next
Top view
Top view

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

Please forgive the absolute state of this build. I'm a novice...
Attachments
20200630_085111.jpg

billy c

Post by billy c »

Rob- I went to the customer photos and saw a few pictures of the Bullseye. Here is one that shows the detail where you are at. Start by checking the spreader that you have installed and make sure that is correct width. Before making any adjustments would try looking at the plans and maybe some of the customer photos as there are more photos of this assembly.
Billy
pic754f1.jpeg

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

I've looked through the build photos and plans a number of times. Unfortunately, everything is already secured in place with fillets and fiberglass on mine now. As far as I can tell there's nothing I can do to change the angles of the seat tops other than removing them entirely and starting over.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Do the seating areas become level as you move toward the transom or do you still have the 5/8” difference?

Rob Kenchu

Post by Rob Kenchu »

Both seats are fairly consistent until they reach the thwart where they're a full bubble off to the outside.

billy c

Post by billy c »

At this juncture if all bulkheads and dimensions are correct at the sheer, as everything is already tied in I would just fit in a tapered piece and make up the difference.

Return to “Sailboats”