Outboard for Tango

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

TiredParent

Outboard for Tango

Post by TiredParent »

According to the Glen-L web page, the Tango will support an outboard of up to 10 hp. Is there a recommended minimum to push it around? :?:

Rob Myran

Re: Outboard for Tango

Post by Rob Myran »

As in most things about sailing the answer is "It depends". 1. on the current or tides you will generally encounter and what it takes to move your boat in a reasonable rate against them. 2. How far you need to motor and what speed you want to go without needing the throttle full open. 3. how much the motor weighs and how much you are willing to lift and lug.

Realistically a 2hp motor will move it fine; a 4 hp may be more close to ideal, with the benefit of more likely to have F N R gears. The only reason to go up near a 10hp motor is that you got one already or found one very cheap. Also note a 2 cycle motor will weigh less than a 4 cycle of the same horsepower, so if you are thinking 10 hp that weighs up.

I use a an old Mariner 5hp on my Precision 21 with no problems. I could go with less, easily.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent »

Thanks Rob, that's kind of what I figured. When I get my Tango built, it will be used mostly for local lakes (central NC), although eventually I'll be interested in taking it out the the Intercoastal Waterway. I'm going to build a Eight Ball for practice first, and that will support a 2 1/2 hp outboard. I wondered if I could use this when I moved up to the Tango, and it sounds like I'll be able to use the small outboard to start. 8)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Also,some of the larger models have a charging circuit which kept my battery up when motoring out the river to get where I could sail(10 HP Honda on a 25' Catalina)

galamb

Post by galamb »

And will just add, if you are looking at a new(er) 4 stroke portable most of the 6 horse and under are single cylinder jobs - not ideal on a motor that only has a single powerstroke for two rotations of the crank (every second stroke is exhaust) - that can lead to a pretty "gutless" engine if you are pushing against a wind or current.

I would personally go with the smallest "twin" you can find that would fit your needs...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “Sailboats”