Question Re: Minuet Headroom?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

tpelle

Question Re: Minuet Headroom?

Post by tpelle »

The specs for the Minuet on the Glen-L site list the cabin headroom at 37" max. Is this measurement taken above the berth flat? If so, how high is the berth flat above the floors?

Oyster

Re: Question Re: Minuet Headroom?

Post by Oyster »

Maybe on monday you can ask the folks at Glen l. I don't know of anyone building the boat right now.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran »

I am building a Minuet.

The plans measure 37" above the plywood floor at the center of the cabin. I got 2'8" at the cabin sides. Add a cushion on the floor and you loose a couple more inches. Also don't forget beams going across the cabin roof for potential head bangers.

I am 5' 11" tall and 34" head to floor when sitting upright. I felt the cabin height a bit too short for my comfort and would not be happy sitting in there with my head bent when over-nighting or sitting out an inclement day, so I have raised the cabin a couple inches. I did not want to mess with changing rigging so I left the cabin height as in the plans in the front but set a back angled step behind the mast. You will see several others have done this in the pictures of various Minuets.

Likewise I have lengthened the cabin a bit, because it will make a better weekender with a bit more interior room. This is my personal preference and I felt I could sacrifice a bit of cockpit length and a few inches or bow deck. As they say - "your mileage may vary."
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Thanks Rob for the info. I did not remember.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

My brother has a sailboat with similar measurements. It's a one person at a time cabin.
But it works. Just take some time getting used to it.

tpelle

Post by tpelle »

Rob Myran wrote:I am building a Minuet.

The plans measure 37" above the plywood floor at the center of the cabin. I got 2'8" at the cabin sides. Add a cushion on the floor and you loose a couple more inches. Also don't forget beams going across the cabin roof for potential head bangers.

I am 5' 11" tall and 34" head to floor when sitting upright. I felt the cabin height a bit too short for my comfort and would not be happy sitting in there with my head bent when over-nighting or sitting out an inclement day, so I have raised the cabin a couple inches. I did not want to mess with changing rigging so I left the cabin height as in the plans in the front but set a back angled step behind the mast. You will see several others have done this in the pictures of various Minuets.

Likewise I have lengthened the cabin a bit, because it will make a better weekender with a bit more interior room. This is my personal preference and I felt I could sacrifice a bit of cockpit length and a few inches or bow deck. As they say - "your mileage may vary."
Rob,

How high above the bottom framing - the floors - is the berth flat? What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to make a small footwell either side of the centerboard case, or aft of the berth if one extended the cabin. It would be much better, if waiting out a rainy day or relaxing in the cabin at the end of a day's sail, if one had a small footwell in the cabin at the bottom of the companionway hatch, even if it was shallow.

I'm also looking at the "No Frills 15" design, which has that feature, but I'm having a little trouble getting over the looks and would prefer something a little more traditional.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran »

tpelle wrote: How high above the bottom framing - the floors - is the berth flat? What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to make a small footwell either side of the centerboard case, or aft of the berth if one extended the cabin. It would be much better, if waiting out a rainy day or relaxing in the cabin at the end of a day's sail, if one had a small footwell in the cabin at the bottom of the companionway hatch, even if it was shallow.

I'm also looking at the "No Frills 15" design, which has that feature, but I'm having a little trouble getting over the looks and would prefer something a little more traditional.
The berth top is about one foot above the interior of the hull plywood at frame numbers 3 and 4. The frames themselves are about 3" high. There are cross frames to support the berth/floor. Another way to look at it is at Frames 3 and 4 the berth top is about 5 inches lower than the set up level lines marked on the plans.

I also have been thinking about a footwell. I would make a removable panel on each side of the centerboard trunk that would give me about one foot of leg room at the centerline. Other times it would be covered and could be used for storage and would give easy access to the bilge and the bolt that holds the centerboard in (a sure leak point that one would want to watch).

I also looked at the No Frills design. One of the guys on the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board (TSBB) built it and has enjoyed sailing it a lot. It is similar (and I think CLC borrowed heavily for the design) to the Chesapeake Light Craft Pocketship kit. The look does get some getting used to. People either think they are real cute or real ugly.

Truth be told, if I had the time and money I would want to build 'em all. But My plan is to finish the Minuet, next build a skin on frame kayak, then, if the economy hasn't completely tanked and beggared me, Build the Amigo. (I love that boat design!).

By the way, I have made sails for the Minuet already and just built a storm jib for it based on the storm jib for the Precision 18, having made one for a P-18 owner recently. (I have a Sailrite LSZ-1 sewing machine and have been making sails for myself and other folks for 3 years, as well as a bunch of repairs and modifications.)
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

tpelle

Post by tpelle »

Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like your thinking on the footwell is in line with mine. I also was thinking in terms of removable panels. My idea was to leave out the center portion of the v-birth so as to form a narrow seat on each side, then drop the filler in as necessary to extend the berth back to the full width. If one were single-handing, one side of the berth filler could be left in "permanently", and the other side left out to form a kind of settee. I think it would make entering the cabin a little more "civilized" if one could step done into even a very narrow footwell, instead of crawling in like entering a backpacking tent.

Return to “Sailboats”