minuet

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

oli

minuet

Post by oli » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:52 am

Hi,
I am planing on building the minuet sailboat over the next year or so. My concern is, will it be too small so to sail from Cape Town (South Africa) to Maputo in Mozambique, I am not planning to sail offshore but to just hug the coast. I don't want to build the Amigo because I want to beach my boat every now and then so a lifting keel ideal. We want to stop at some harbours to bring on more food and water ect. And will they be place for GPS and othere stuff like that or is this too much for a small yacht. I also want to cusomize the cabin to give it more room.

Thanks, i will also welcom all other desings, just no bigger than 18ft.

TiredParent

Re: minuet

Post by TiredParent » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Oli,

I am looking at the Minuet plan now, after originally considering the Tango. While I don't think the Minuet is as good for blue water as a larger boat, from the different accounts I've read in the user pictures section, it sounds like it will take moderate seas pretty well. I was especially impressed by the modified cabin Minuet that Roger Hall built. It looks like a much larger yatch.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I have been building a Minuet. It is a small boat, much like the 15 foot version of the West Weight Potter. That boat has sailed long distances (at some risk) but packing has to be done very carefully. I consider it a weekender. Cabin accommodation is similar to camping in a hard shelled tent. For me, the advantage in building this boat is the ease of launch and retrieval on crude and shallow boat ramps because of the retractable keel. Setting up the mast will be easy single handed. This boat will be a dream for exploring small lakes and rivers. ( live near the Mississippi River in South Western Wisconsin).

If you want to build a small boat (essentially a micro cruiser) you might want to also seriously consider the slightly larger big sister to the Minuet = the 17 foot Tango. The building will be the same and the time difference will only be the difference of time it takes for stuff like glassing and epoxy coating a couple more feet of material. It would give you more volume for storing supplies and stretch your cruising range.

For your intended use, the one thing I would do if you build either of these boats is to create water tight compartments and make a true bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit. The lazarette hatches should be improved to keep water out, as well.

Best of luck with your decision. If you do such cruising, always remember the most dangerous thing on a cruising sailboat is a calendar. If you have to be somewhere by a specific time or date, you are more likely to make bad choices to go out into weather you should have waited out.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I also want to cusomize the cabin to give it more room.
Modifications I made to make my cabin larger:

I moved the cabin house front a couple inches to frame #5.

I moved the cabin bulkhead back about a foot making the cockpit smaller.

I raised the ceiling height so I had better sitting headroom. However, I left the height at the mast step the same so I would not have to change the rigging, and made a little angled rise a few inches behind the mast. The the cabin roof rise angles up a bit to the back wall.

These changes should make the boat plenty comfortable for me without making too much more deck house profile to catch wind.

Re room for GPS, Radio, etc. Sure. We live in a marvelous age of high quality handheld charting GPSs and radios. But, cabin mounted models won't take up too much room either.

oli

Post by oli » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Thanks guys you helped to clear things up alot. I can not belive that I over looked the Tango, it is almost everything I need. But I do have a request, now that is I a bigger boat could I replace the tiller with a wheel. Not because I need one just becease i think it look cool. :D

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 am

Rob Myran wrote:If you want to build a small boat (essentially a micro cruiser) you might want to also seriously consider the slightly larger big sister to the Minuet = the 17 foot Tango.
Tango is 18'-6", but I agree, it is a serious alternative to the Minuet. I was considering it, but since my build would only be used for local lakes, it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to crowd my building space.

oli

Post by oli » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:47 am

Can anyone help with the size of the sail for the Tango because there is one for sale size 4.9 x 1.8m at a realy realy good price and I want to know if it would fit. And also could you get your own wood mask and boom or do you have to buy it from here, and lastly could you get cheep rigging if you buy it sepuratly from other places.

Thanks Oli

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am

Oli, have you thought about buying a scrap boat of similar size and stripping off the hardware ?
You'll get the boat outfitted for a lot less money as long as the rigging is in decent shape.

For an idea of what the logistics of your trip might be like, check out Lyn Pardey's book Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew
Two people, extended cruising, 24 foot boat.
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 pm

could I replace the tiller with a wheel.
I would not. A tiller is more responsive than a wheel on a small boat. The wheel's advantage is that it gives leverage on large heavy boat where it can take several full turns of the wheel to move the rudder all the way over. On a small boat you don't need it because it is no work to push or pull the rudder. Small boats are lively and catch little puffs and gusts of wind that can effect movement and position quickly. The tiller allows you to counter that just as quickly.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 pm

size of the sail for the Tango
A good site to look at for sizes of sails is Sailrite.com They list the Tango on their sail quoting page. Note: you can build these sails yourself (they supply a kit of materials and lay out the panels with the broadseaming printed on) or they will build it for you, or you can have someone else build it. But, it is also a very handy resource just to find the dimensions and use that to compare to a sail you might have run across used.

Example Sailrite list the mainsail for the Tango as:
Luff 20.5ft (6248mm)
Foot 9.25ft (2819mm)
Leech-AftHdBd 22.06*ft (6723mm)
Tack Ang 88.38*
Diag (clew/head) 22.25ft (6781mm)
Head (inches) 4*in (102mm)
Area (no Roach) 97.8*ft2 (9086mm2).

They also show a Working Jib and a Genoa.

Note: Glen-L can also supply you with sails.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Mike wrote: Tango is 18'-6", but I agree, it is a serious alternative to the Minuet. I was considering it, but since my build would only be used for local lakes, it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to crowd my building space.
That is essentially why I also went with a Minuet. I have a Precision 21 and wanted a smaller boat for gunk holing and easier trailering and single handed mast handling and launching. I hope to replace the Precision 21 with an Amigo when I finish the Minuet, because I want a robust small boat for sailing on and exploring Lake Superior and other Great lakes.

I was Just up to Superior, WI to see the Woodies On The Water last Saturday. There was a Benford design Scrimshaw 19 that the owners built 20 years ago. It was nicely built and cozy, and reinforced my opinion that a 22 foot Amigo would be just the boat for me for the bigger waters. Note: I fully intend to take the Minuet up to Lake Superior for some coastal and Apostle Island sailing, too. It is just that I will have to do it when the lake is on its best behavior.

oli

Post by oli » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am

Just about to order the study plans for the Tango, do they arrive by mail or email?

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 am

oli wrote:Just about to order the study plans for the Tango, do they arrive by mail or email?
I ordered the Tango study plans. They came by mail. As I recall, they are 4 or so 11" x 17" sheets.

Return to “Sailboats”