Yet another epoxy question.

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Bikermouse

Yet another epoxy question.

Post by Bikermouse » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I finally bought another quart kit of Poxy-Shield, and I've progressed (finally!) to applying fiberglass to my little hull. The process is easier than I thought it would be (or than I was afraid it would be), but I'm still going through the epoxy at a distressing rate.

I though that I had read that the 1qt kit would be sufficient to finish an 8' hull, but, at this rate, I only have enough to finish the bond coat. At least I hope so. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to get another quart to do the fill coat, and I haven't even begun to encapsulate the inside of the hull!

Could someone please tell me that this rate of consumption is normal, or what I'm doing wrong?
Why build a boat?
Because they don't think I can!

jamundsen

Re: Yet another epoxy question.

Post by jamundsen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Thats about normal. I'm building a 24 ft boat and have gone thru 20 gallons.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 pm

The Glen-L fiberglass kit for the Sabotina comes with 1.2 gallons of resin. You do not want run out in the middle of the wet out.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I cannot recall what you are building, but a basic stitch and glue kayak, glassed on the outside, encapsulated inside, can be comfortably completed with a gallon of resin with a 5:1 hardener ratio (i.e.: 1.2 gallons of mixed epoxy)

The only way you could do a small hull with just one quart is if you were just taping the seams. Even then, it would be a stretch to encapsulate all round.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Spend the extra $100 and get another gallon. Load the stuff on and then your worries go away when the boat is 10 years old, the night comes down, the wind comes up and the coast is out of sight. If you have to keave the boat uncovered you won't need to worry. The $100 is going to buy you piece of mind.

Stuart

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Just think how much you would go through if your were laying up a fiberglass boat. :shock: Epoxy is the magic that makes this all work so well for us. It is worth the outrageous prices. Glue, fillets, filling screw holes, and wetting out wood to cover with fiberglass. How marvelous!

If you are worrying that you are going through too much, check that you are getting it spread out with a squeegie enough (without turning the epoxy into foam as you go). Sometimes wetting out the wood before applying the fiberglass helps. That works best in small areas, though. It can be a bear to layout a large sheet of fiberglass over a wetted surface.

Mostly, I just bite the bullet and buy more as I go. I also have had a habit of using the epoxy for my boat build on lots of other things.

By the way, I buy nitrile gloves by the box of 100 at Sam's Club or Walmart.

I also like using stainless steel kitchen measuring spoons for small mixes. For larger mixes I save the measuring cups from laundry detergent.

I cut the tops off vinegar bottles and other similar bottles for mixing containers with my jig saw.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Bikermouse

Post by Bikermouse » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I had a feeling that the rate of usage was normal, I was just looking for a "you're doing fine" moment. :roll:

I have been using the nitrile gloves in the 100 packs, also the Bondo brand plastic squeeqees for the wet out. For measuring cups, I have a package of cheap plastic 3oz. cups that I use. I use one of my wife's kitchen syringes to fill it to 2 tbs., mark the level, then fill it another 10 tbs., and mark again. This way, I'm uber-confident about my ratios, even if the labor process is a bit more intensive. Unfortunately, with the lack of work this summer, I'm afraid she'll just have to go under a tarp again until I can scrape together enough for a gallon of epoxy. C'est la guerre!
Why build a boat?
Because they don't think I can!

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:30 am

Bondo brand
:shock: :shock: Wash your tongue. :wink: :lol: :lol: JUst kidding here, But anyway, let me add that this would be another good time to say do not use any bondo on ANY project here, only spreaders that the car guys using bondo like to favor for small spot filling.

Return to “Sailboats”