Help tracing patterns

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

kgerkens

Help tracing patterns

Post by kgerkens » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am

I am just getting started on a Glen-L 14' Sloop. First boat project and first project with full size patterns. I am working with lumber yard cut material. i.e a 1"x3" measures to 3/4"x 2 1/2". Does anyone have any suggestions on tracing the patterns which are to full size (3" width)?

billy c

Re: Help tracing patterns

Post by billy c » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 am

are you trying to fit a 3" wide pattern on a 2-1/2" wide board?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kcooper

Post by kcooper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:49 am

You will need to get 1x4 material in order to get the full width. Note on the written instructionsl there is a description about when "net" size material is needed.

As for the tracing, when I built my Glen-L 14, I bought a pack of tracing paper and a roll of brown wrapping paper. I used a 4x8 piece of plywood as the work surface, laid out enough wrapping paper for the size of the particular piece, covered it with overlapped sheets of tracing paper, then put the plan on top using push pins to hold everything in place. Then, I traced with a pencil over the plan leaving the markings on the wrapping paper. Afterward, I cut the wrapping paper along the lines forming a pattern which I then transferred to the piece of wood out of which it would be cut. Again, I used push pins to hold the pattern in place while I marked around it with a pencil onto the surface of the wood. There are, of course, other ways to do this, but I found this worked best for me.

kgerkens

Post by kgerkens » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks!! Yeah I messed up. We'll chalk this one up to experience.. Thanks for the tracing recommendations. I am sure we'll be talking alot more in the future.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Keith

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:04 pm

FYI -- Glen L sells tracing paper in a 2 foot by 16 foot package - cut in half its the size of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. Item #08-110 - $7.95 per package plus shipping.

Jerry&Adam

Post by Jerry&Adam » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I have a fairly comprehensive photo blog on my Glen-L 17 build. Maybe it could help.

Good luck!

http://jerryandadamswoodenboat2010.shutterfly.com/

kens

Post by kens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:04 pm

I did it a little different. I did get the tracing paper pack and used 2 pieces of tracng paper back-to-back. When I drew on the plans, it drew on the backside of the plans simultaneously with the work piece.
Now just flip over the plans sheet and you got the opposite side drawn that wasnt there.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:59 pm

You can get get a tracing wheel from any sewing supply shop or decent craft shop.

Add some carbon paper and you can get a pretty good outline onto the wood.

http://www.google.ie/images?q=sewing+tr ... 80&bih=705

I'm nearing the end of a Glen L 14 sloop.

my blog may help you avoid some of my mistakes, see my signature.
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I like Kens did it differently too. Here is my post form another thread on this subject.
Nova SS wrote:ok, as per usual I did this differently. I bought the tracing paper from Glen-L and I also bought a roll of brown kraft paper. I roll out a length of kraft paper that is large enough for a full size complete frame pattern. I then fold it in half. I then lay some tracing paper tracing side up on a sheet of ply (used as a work surface) I lay the folded Kraft paper on that with the folded edge lined up with the edge of the plywood. On top of that I lay another layer of tracing paper with the tracing side down. Then on top of that I lay the full size patterns on it with the center line of the pattern aligned with the edge of the ply. To hold this still I tack it down to the ply. Then I proceed to trace out the half pattern (I use a wooden chopstick for this) I trace the entire pattern as Glen drew them. When I am done I remove the tacks and unfold the kraft paper and now I have a COMPLETE full size pattern that I can use to transferring straight to wood. For us anyway this works the best.

I hope I explained this correctly and didn't muddy it to much :oops:

EDIT: I meant carbon paper NOT tracing paper

areame

Post by areame » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I use wax paper and some fine tipped sharpies. When the width of the pattern became to large I would just tape two pieces together and add a staple or two. Has been working great for my Squirt build!

Good Luck!

Anthony

Return to “Sailboats”