Minuet changes

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Rob Myran

Minuet changes

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:13 am

I have made the changes and they look like they will work well. I had to stop work at the end of September, though I really planned to finish all the construction this Fall. That would have left painting and rigging and incidentals for the Spring. Oh well!

By the way, I sew sails, so I made the loose-footed main sail and working jib for the Minuet already. I also made a storm jib. I had a job to build a storm jib for a guy's Precision 18. I saw that the size would be pretty nice for the area reduction on a Minuet and the deck angle was about right.

I am not sure how to post pictures on this forum, so I have not done so. I have sent people pictures in e-mail and mailed a cd of lots of pictures to rzopp who posts here. I always meant to make a "Rob's Sailing Pictures" photo album, but have been to lazy to do so.

Send me your contact info at "robmyran at gmail dotcom" and I will get you some pix and info.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

upspirate

Re: Minuet changes

Post by upspirate » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Rob,when you post,look down past the box where you type and it says browse.You can locate a pic on your computer then click add file,and you can post a pic!!

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Here is a test picture of the cockpit on my Minuet "Double Nickel"
Attachments
Double Nickel
Double Nickel
Cockpit seats with angled foot rests and hatch covers in place.
Cockpit seats with angled foot rests and hatch covers in place.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:03 pm

There are rain gutters around the hatch openings that also support the seat tops. I also made a angled foot rest that made building the seats a bit more complicated, but it is nice to place feet against when the boat is heeled and also does not "cut into" the backs of your legs.

I built a well vented fuel locker for a 3 gallon gas tank with plenty of spare room for things like spare butane or small propane cylinders. It is elevated above the cockpit floor and sealed from the interior of the boat.
Attachments
Rain gutters
Rain gutters
Fuel locker
Fuel locker

slug

Post by slug » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Nice job on those hatches Rob.
Doug

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Doug.

I think they will prove to be worth the extra building time. I really like angled seat fronts, too.

tpelle

Post by tpelle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 am

Looking good. I like the cockpit-seat lockers too.

Any pics of the interior arrangement rough-in? I'm interested in how the lengthened cabin is working out, and how you arranged the aft end of the berths.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 am

Before I stopped at the end of September, I was working on the cabin. I had build the cabin sole beam, and cut out the plywood in the V and on the port side. That allowed me to sit and lay down and see what room I would have. I found I have ample sitting headroom in the cabin now. I was also very happy I lengthened the cabin because I take up most of the space from the V to the back of the cabin when I lay down. Remember, I one is planning to do weekend and longer cruises there is a fair amount of personal stuff to stash: Bedding, Clothing, jackets and foul weather gear, food and a cooler, and cooking stuff, plus a kitchen kit of dishes and washing-up stuff, and a porta potti. There will also be boat things that don't always live in the lazarettes. All that will compete for that limited cabin space. I think in terms of being a backpacker with a hard walled tent. Even my Precision 21 gets pretty tight with two people and their gear for a three to five day cruise.

Most of the storage in the cabin will be built as removable boxes and table surfaces. In such a small cabin, apart from some small shelving along the sides beneath the dog house, I think it will work better to be able to take out and put in as you use requires. I will make brackets and small cubby spots for my GPS and handheld VHS and cell phone emergency flares and other signaling stuff, and a 1st aid kit

In my e-mail to you, I believe I mentioned that the angled back wall of the cabin made for more comfortable leaning against when lounging in the cockpit. The angled sidewalls, also make walking forward easier because the little boat will heel to the side being walked and a straight wall would push against legs which could push you off the boat.

tpelle

Post by tpelle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Rob,

Another couple of questions regarding the Minuet in general:

1. Besides the steel centerboard, is there any other internal ballast called for in the plans?

2. When applying the plywood planking, is there a transition Joint? I've looked at your picture of the partially-planked hull in the builder's gallery, and it doesn't appear so, but I could just be missing it in the pic.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Another couple of questions regarding the Minuet in general:

1. Besides the steel centerboard, is there any other internal ballast called for in the plans?
No. 1/2" steel about 160lbs

But I figure keeping heavy items low and around the center of the boat will add to ballast. = 12 volt battery, anchor in forward cockpit locker.

Alternative to steel could be lead in a fiberglassed layup. I am not sure I will like rustaible steel in the long run and may build an alternative in the future.
2. When applying the plywood planking, is there a transition Joint? I've looked at your picture of the partially-planked hull in the builder's gallery, and it doesn't appear so, but I could just be missing it in the pic.
Been a long time since I saw that picture. There is a tapered edged butt joint backed with a piece of plywood about 8 inches wide that is epoxy glued and screwed in place. Protruding ends of screws were ground off.

tpelle

Post by tpelle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:08 pm

I think your answer refers to the scarfing of the plywood. I was asking about the joint along the chine. On some boats, as the deadrise of the V-bottom steepens, the joint transitions from a simple overlap to a butt joint. That's the transition joint I was asking about.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm

It really depends on how sharp the foward entry is when discussing the need or use of a transition joint. The real purpose is to minimize the removal of the chine wood when using a single layer of solid wood for the chines. In some cases when steep angle exists, I will actually back up the single layer chine and cut the severe angle on the chine if I am doing a composite bottom with structual biaxall cloth. I don't recommend it though in single sheet hull skins. But in laminates or double planking where the second side layer extends over the bottom planking, you can get by with it.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm

The picture in the archives had not progressed to planking the bottom yet. I had a small problem in that the supplier was out of 3/8" Meranti when I ordered so I used 1/2" Meranti on the bottom Since bending 1/2" to the bow was too much, I cut strips on 1/4" Meranti and cold molded two layers which made it easy to make the bow. No transition joint was made at the chine. Everything was scarfed to make good overlaps with minimum end grain exposed. It may have differed a bit from the "right way", but it worked well and went quickly.

tpelle

Post by tpelle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 am

Rob,

Do you have a pic of how the cabin interior is working out, particularly the cabin sole/footwell area?

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:26 am

so I used 1/2" Meranti
I considered 1/2 to be solid as a rock! You actually used 1/2 for planking? The 1/4" laminate probably went really well. Thinking back now, it would not have been a bad idea to have laminated 1/4" around the centerboard trunk on my build. I used 3/8" and I would be uncomfortable if anyone wore high heals down in the bilge.

Stuart

Return to “Sailboats”