idea for steering the francis drake....

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

tophergopher

idea for steering the francis drake....

Post by tophergopher » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I have been looking at the study plans for the FD, and am wondering how hard it would be to change from tiller to wheel steering with the wheel mounted on the back of the flightdeck? how difficult would it be to make a modification for this to occur?????

slug

Re: idea for steering the francis drake....

Post by slug » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't think it's impossible, but there would definately be some re-work involved. If you wanted the steering quadrant inside the hull ( no lines passing thru openings in the transom ) you'd have to relocate the rudder....BIG job. Looking at the drawings of the deck plan, there appears to be little room in the cockpit for the helmsman to stand behind the wheel unless you extended the cockpit aft, thus losing a place to sit behind the wheel.
The mainsheet traveller restricts the room available also.
I would think you'd be better off with the tiller as is and go with one of the many dependable auto helms if you wsnted to take a breather.
Doug

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Gaffrig24 installed wheel steering on his boat....wasn't a pedestal though

http://www.glen-l.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... ffrig2.jpg

If you look in the Gathering photos on the main page,there are more of his boat

PM him and see how he did it

tophergopher

Post by tophergopher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I wasn't looking at pedestal steering for the FD, I remember there was a 21' friendship sloop kit 24 years ago that I saw at the toronto boatshow that had wheel steering. I much prefer wheel over tiller.....takes up less room on the flightdeck.

Chris

save a life, adopt or foster a beagle today

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:35 pm

The Francis Drake seems like it would have a lot heavier rudder loads than a Weekender or 21' Friendship. A small wheel mounted on the taffrail might not give you the leverage you need on its own. The rudder side of the conversion should be easy enough if you leave enough of the rudder stock exposed so you can mount a tiller arm.

Maybe a hydraulic pump for the helm and a ram in the lazarette would give you options to get the mechanical advantage you need ?
Playing around with truck and agri parts would let you try it in the boat before spending the money on a marine system.
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

tophergopher

Post by tophergopher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 pm

have pm'ed gaffrig24 to see how he did his, but it shouldn't be too hard. Was thinking about a rack and pinion system of some sort, and of course would leave enough of the rudder stock to use the tiller in an emergency. Any and all suggestions will be taken into consideration
Christopher

Save a life, adopt or foster a beagle today!

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 pm

I would suggest picking up a copy of "Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding". He shows inexpensive ways of making wheel steering, either stand alone or attached to a tiller. As those who've looked at Buehler's designs know he does not design light displacement boats so everything is robust. He also favors tillers and large designs like his schooner Archimedes have both a tiller and a wheel in a pilothouse.

What I like about that approach is that a breakdown in the wheel steering still allows you to control the boat with a tiller (one that is already in place and not at the very bottom of a pile of little used stuff in some locker).
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

tophergopher

Post by tophergopher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Thank you Rob, I shall do that asap.....guess it's time to check the online bookstores etc.....would be nice to have a unique Francis Drake for my cruising as I do live on an island out in the atlantic ocean.
Christopher

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you Rob, I shall do that asap.....guess it's time to check the online bookstores etc.....would be nice to have a unique Francis Drake for my cruising as I do live on an island out in the atlantic ocean.
Well, if you're living on an island in the Atlantic Ocean you certainly should have such a boat.
I had adopted a beagle cross named Buddy about 13 years ago. He was about 8 when I got him. He was staying at a neighbors all the time and the neighbor asked the owner why. He said he didn't want the dog and was going to shoot him. She asked if she could find him a new home. We took him and he was a great dog and a prolific rabbit hunter. We also adopted an Akita in 2000. He is still with us and a joy. Buddy and Bo made a great team. Buddy even tried to keep his tail curled like the the Akita. :D

tophergopher

Post by tophergopher » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:02 pm

And yes, being on the island of newfoundland you need an ocean going vessel.....

Here we prefer to stop the use of beagles for hunting, instead having them as family pets......"dogs are pets, beagles are family" We rescue beagles left abandoned etc, and send them to loving homes across canada......I have one myself for 2 years and she's the most loyal girl you could ever ask for
Christopher

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 pm

We live on an 80 acre former farm (about 14 tillable acres the balance field and forest). The dogs are not used for hunting, but are free to roam our land. They were also shown the boundries and stay within. That took some time to reinforce. The beagle-cross did a good job saving our vegetable garden from rabbit predation. And ya our dogs are family. Living rurally as we do we feel we can give our dogs a life that is about as good as it gets for a dog. Not the confinement of urban and suburban dogs, but freedom, and daily hikes in the woods with me, and the ability to be house dogs as well. They have a large penned area in the front of the house so they have their special place and we can pen them when we go away and can't take them with. They also are leash trained and good travelers. Beagles are naturally friendly with people but the Akita needed to learn. We turned his natural guarding instinct into being a greeter and announcer when people come to the house. Worked well, and people who are wary of large dogs like him once they meet him. They are and were both pretty good sailing crew, too.
Alas, I wish we still had them both.

Return to “Sailboats”