Roller Reefing For Main?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

tpelle

Roller Reefing For Main?

Post by tpelle »

Looking in the Glen-L Boatbuilding Supplies web page, and I see a gooseneck assembly that fits their aluminum spar "A" that provides roller reefing of the main sail. I have absolutely no experience with roller reefing of a main. I've been looking at the parts, and can't puzzle out how these parts go together.

Does anyone have any pics of how this goes together?

What sort of additional mechanism is used to rotate the boom, and to lock it in position?

Oyster

Re: Roller Reefing For Main?

Post by Oyster »

It looks self explantory but I think it depends on the boat which also changes the actual perticulars in regards to the boom and sail rig.
Fits into forward end of Spar (boom) "A" section. Stainless steel fitting slides in luff groove of all our spars, complete with aluminum casting ready for drilling. Has downhaul eye and sail tack pin. Use with outhaul assembly #03-062 for complete roller reefing set-up. If roller reefing feature not desired, boom can remain fixed using the same fittings and other reefing methods. (1.5#)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Mike, How would you roll or reef it?

Just reach up and wind it up like rolling paper back on a roll?

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

Does this help ??
Related links :

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Very good Mr Hot Rod...yep that explains it!!!

tpelle

Post by tpelle »

I see now how the fitting at the forward end of the boom has a square "socket" which, when held against the gooseneck by the spring, prevents the boom from rolling. And it appears that, to get the boom to roll one way or the other, one has to pull the boom back against spring pressure to release it. Maybe I'm still missing something.......but do you just grab on to the boom (and bundle of sail if already partially reefed) and just twist it by hand to reef? Is this normally how it's done?

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Evidently ,on a small boat, this can be accomplished like you said.

I would think that in conditions you need to reef,it would be tough to roll it like that.

I think I'd set up normal jiffy reefing

Return to “Sailboats”