Starting Out

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

TiredParent

Starting Out

Post by TiredParent »

It will be another couple of months before I can really get started on my first boat (an 8Ball), but I have gotten one task out the way. Because I have a limited amount of working space, and want to be able to move my build around depending on what I'm doing, I've created a work platform on wheels.
Work Platform.jpg
This is a 5/8" x 4' x 8' OCB board backed by 2"x4" framing, with 6 - 5" rubber wheels. I expect to use this for my first two builds (the GL-15 will overhang 3' on each end). It should allow me to move the boat(s) around for easy access during construction, and shove it out of the way when I'm not working on it.

Currently on the platform is some lumber for a shelving project that my wife insists I complete before getting to the fun stuff.
Last edited by TiredParent on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

upspirate

Re: Starting Out

Post by upspirate »

Very Good! :D

tpelle

Post by tpelle »

Great idea! I've been thinking of something similar for a strongback, except I've been thinking about adding some sort of simple screw jack near each corner so as to be able to level it and anchor it in place. Thinking about, maybe, something out of heavy all-thread rod, or maybe a pipe flange with a piece of pipe threaded full-length.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

@TiredParent; While the idea has great merit the application may be difficult. While I don't know the orientation of the underside framing, the 8ball is not very heavy and it should not cause any big problems with the support frame bending. However, I would question using this for the GL15 because it weighs in at about 400lbs. The 2x4's may give the impression of being stiff but they bend even with a couple of pounds on them. Even with the 8ball you might have used 2x8's because the wood is going to bend slightly and you will be fighting dimensional changes as you move the frame around and the boat gets heavier. If I was going to use a movable wood frame I would make sure it was stiff enough that all the wheels didn't touch the floor under full load because if they do, the frame is not supporting the load, the floor is, and the floor may be dimensionally out by 1/4" or more from place to place. When you have nothing more than a level to use for setting up, the dimensional errors will be cumulative. Also, some lumber yards leave their 2x4" outside and as they dry out they tend to shift around if not captured with trusses, struts and other framing members. Wood of this thickness can take a long time to dry. I expect when you move the frame you should go over the thing from corner to corner with a level and shim and block it to get it back to absolutely level before doing any work.

Stuart

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent »

tpelle: I didn't even think of the leveling option. Since my build will be in the garage, with a nice level floor, it isn't too important. Great idea if there were any variations.

Stuart: That's why I put the center wheels under the frame. Structurally, 2x4's will bend with any weight, over an 8' span. However, my maximum span is only 4", and they won't flex much even with a goodly weight on the center span. (I know... I've stood on the darn thing, and it doesn't wiggle on my 260+ lbs.) As far as putting the GL-15 on it, I fully plan to place the actual strong back on top of this platform. This can be 2x6 or greater, as needed to support the build.

tpelle

Post by tpelle »

TiredParent wrote:tpelle: I didn't even think of the leveling option. Since my build will be in the garage, with a nice level floor, it isn't too important. Great idea if there were any variations.

Stuart: That's why I put the center wheels under the frame. Structurally, 2x4's will bend with any weight, over an 8' span. However, my maximum span is only 4", and they won't flex much even with a goodly weight on the center span. (I know... I've stood on the darn thing, and it doesn't wiggle on my 260+ lbs.) As far as putting the GL-15 on it, I fully plan to place the actual strong back on top of this platform. This can be 2x6 or greater, as needed to support the build.
Tired, I think you still would need to build on a level platform - level fore and aft as well as athwartship.

If and when I start my build, I think I'll build outside under a temporary structure (which may end up being semi-permanent, if that makes sense, just because of how long it will take me to finish), and build my strongback leveled-up on posts set in the ground. I'm looking at one of those "garages" from Northern Tool and Hydraulics, or something similar.

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent »

If I ever get around to building a mid-size to large boat (>20'), it would have to be outside in just that way. The problem is going to be getting the HOA in my neighborhood to buy into that plan.

I expect that I will have to do some additional leveling on top of the build platform... probably an actual strong back.

Return to “Sailboats”