Minuet as a Motor Launch

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

fred1

Minuet as a Motor Launch

Post by fred1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 am

Good afternoon all, regarding the Minuet I intend to build one with some differences. Firstly I won't be having any sails as such due to the fact that once your lower back has been damaged it is rather difficult to be able to sail just about any type of sail boat; I'm just not able to move that quick any more. Hence forth that's why I won't be running any sails. As for powering this vessel I was considering a 10 hp or maybe a 15 hp outboard; preferably with power trim and tilt. This would enable me to launch and retrieve the Minuet by myself; this also takes into account the new L-R gate systems which are now readily availbe in Australia. Lots of interesting things take place when your body let's you down. In spite of not running sails I would still be utilising the dagger board and ballast. Would like to know if I heading in the right direction with what I have in mind for the Minuet.
Cheers Alby

upspirate

Re: Minuet as a Motor Launch

Post by upspirate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:58 am

I would think that without the sails,mast and rigging,you probably wouldn't need the dagger-board...unless you think you might want to rig as a sailboat down the line,like for resale.

The ballast might come in handy though.

razopp

Post by razopp » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

There is a guy on the Woodenboat Magazine forum that converted his Minuet to a small displacement cruiser. His screen name is JimD and he did a really good job on the conversion including the addition of a small pilothouse. If you search over there you can find the discussion pretty easily. The thread is called "Sailboat to Motorboat Conversion Update". (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... ght=Minuet)

It looks like the pics have gone away in the post, but there is a great discussion about it. Jim's Minuet is also in the Customer Photos section (Jim Doucet I believe.) He has responded to my emails in the past through the registry as well.

Robert

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:59 pm

I certainly plan to use my Minuet as a motorboat at times. I am thinking of back channels along the Mississippi River where sailing would not work and no keel depth would work. So It is feasable.

My thought, though, would be if I were to go to the trouble to specifically modify the cabin for a pilot house, why not build a tug like the GL 16 foot Sweetpea?
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

fred1

Post by fred1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for your input folks. Just wondering if Jim Doucet was still able to be e-mailed regarding the photos of the changes that he made when he did the conversion. Now I'll have to get my act together once the plans arrive for the Minuet.
Cheers Alby

Return to “Sailboats”