Mast construction on Saboteer

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Venus

Mast construction on Saboteer

Post by Venus »

I am currently building the 16 foot long mast for my Saboteer (in 2 8 foot long segments).
The instruction says laminate from 3 layers of 3/4" x 2 1/4" lumber.
Now, the instruction (or fastening schedule) don't mention how to screw these together.

Somebody has an answer on these questions:
1) Do I have to glue each layer? (I am assuming yes)
2) Do I have to screw or nail? If yes, how far apart?

Thanks
Francois :?

Oyster

Re: Mast construction on Saboteer

Post by Oyster »

No real fasteners are used to glue or clamp the wood together in the laminating process. In most cases people clamp the wood together in the rough and let glue dry. Then they will shape the mast. WHile I do not know the particular mast and boat setup, this is the method that I have used. I have also used inner tube straps to make up for the lack of clamps or even clamps that will clamp unusual shaped woods too. Hopefully this will give you some ideas in the way to proceed at this point.

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Francois;

On my much smaller BullsEye mast I glued up my 3 laminations, hollowing out the middle one (a huge waste of time as the weight savings was miniscule), using thickened epoxy with pegs to keep the slippery mess aligned.

I glued up the joined planks and shaped the mast with band saw, planer, spoke shave, belt sander and several long strips of old beltsander belts used shoeshine fashion .... lot of work there. The asymetrically shaped taper was a challange for my minimal skill set and classic set of junk tools... but hey I be learnin : )

Sail on

DaveA
Attachments
Mast2.JPG
Mast1.JPG

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

I shape the glued up rough laminate using my table saw, which removes wood uniformly along a line created with a sharpie and a straight. Of course it goes without saying that if you do this by freehanding, care needs to be taken. The shape the structure with your hand tools. Of course there are several methods in which to create a mini and crude manual lathe too with simple yokes, which holds the mast structure in place at the ends.

Return to “Sailboats”