Looking in to building a sailboat

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Lutefisk

Looking in to building a sailboat

Post by Lutefisk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:11 am

Hi!

My name is John Henri, I'm 16 years old and I'm from Norway. I have been near boats or driving boats a lot since I live near the ocean. I know people that are experienced with building boats and such.

So, I have always wanted a sailboat and I discovered this website and had a look through the cataloge and found a few boats that I would like to build, such as FANCY FREE or AMIGO . But there is a lot I am wondering about.

1. Is it possible to build either FANCY FREE or AMIGO for around 2000 Dollars, or would I need to invest more if I am going to build one of these?

2. How much time does it useally take to build the boats I've mentioned above? I think I could scrounge up some people to help me out, seeing as this might make it faster.

3. Would the FANCY FREE be able to get me over at least a bit of open sea, or does it respond very badly to harsh winds and waves?

Thanks in advance! :)

Rational Root

Re: Looking in to building a sailboat

Post by Rational Root » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:45 am

Fancy free:

From the web site.

Then you need wood, plywood, and paint

Fancy Free Bronze Fastening Kit
$543.96

Fancy Free Fiberglass Kit
$874.04

Fancy Free Hardware Kit for Wood Mast
$971.84

Fancy Free Sails
$831.10

Fancy Free Rigging Kit
$1,289.02

Fancy Free Spar Kit
$673.19
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

Lutefisk

Post by Lutefisk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the materials locally?

TiredParent

Post by TiredParent » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 am

You would have to track down all the materials. The prices in your part of the world may vary greatly from what we pay in the States, but probably not by a huge amount. You will undoubtedly save a ton of money not having to pay for the shipping.

There is no reason that anyone HAS to buy the kits from Glen-L. Generally, those of us living in North America do so to show our support, but if it gets to expensive to do so, I don't think anyone would blame you doing otherwise.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 am

@Lutefisk; You will not be able to build much of a boat for $US2000. Certainly you can buy the poorest quality wood and fasteners, save by cutting corners but it just can't be done. All is not lost however, there are many sail boats for sale of good size for under $1000. These are mostly old boats built in the 70's that are very dirty with bad engines. If you know something about boats you can refit one of these and you might come in at your $2000 range with a 25ft boat.
TiredParent wrote:those of us living in North America do so to show our support,
I am not sure if that's my reasoning as I purchased Glen-L sails, mast, boom, standing rigging, running rigging and such. It's because the price was better and the stuff was all sorted out for my boat so that I can just fit it and not worry about it. However, shipping costs to Europe would be more than the cost of the hardware.

Stuart

Lutefisk

Post by Lutefisk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 pm

To find cheap used sailboats in Norway is not very easy, but it is most certanly possible. Just for curiosities sake, how much would it cost to build a FANCY FREE or AMIGO, if you would make a guess (included wood and such)?

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Lutefisk,welcome to the forum.

It may take a while for someone from your area to respond, as it's hard to determine what it would cost from our view due to lack of knowledge of materials cost on your side of the pond.

best bet is to take the bill of materials listed on the plan catalog page, and check with local lumberyard prices where you live for local material costs

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 pm

I was not suggesting that he needed to buy parts from the US, simply that taking these as a ball park price, his budges of $2000 is not looking good.

Building a boat is cheaper than buying new, but realistically, most of us build boats because we want to build boats. I am nearly finished a Glen L 14 sloop. I could have easily bough a second hand wanderer/wayfarer/gp14 for less than I have spent.

Also, add in costs for tools if you need to buy any.... It adds up.
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm

An Amigo, $15000 in North America plus or minus several thousand. It depends what you use. If you find an old donor boat with spar and rigging then you can save several thousand. If you do a spartan job on the cabin and have the used parts including lead balast then you can save some cash The wood, fasteners and fiberglass to do the hull will be close to $10000. Time will also be a big factor and you will not be a teenager when you sail her so I would guess $3000 per year would get her done.

Stuart

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm

I commend you for wanting to build a sailboat. You may have to choose a smaller simpler design to meet your budget. Consider this your first boat. If You like the building process you will build others.

If you choose a bigger project like the Amigo plan of it taking some time and money to complete. You will want to be sure you have a place you can keep it through the building process which may be several years depending on your finances as you go.

Like stated in another post, the Glen-L kits of parts are excellent, but you may need to use them as a guide and check locally for the items. Shipping is a considerable cost these days.

One thing I have to say in favor of the Amigo is that it is an off-shore capable pocket cruiser. Living in Norway, it would be a lovely little boat to travel the coasts and fjords safely and comfortably.

Good luck in your decisions.

By the way, you can always order a couple sets of study plans fairly cheaply, and even a full set of plans for a boat like the Amigo are not too expensive. You could buy a set and keep it until you have the time and money to build it.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Lutefisk

Post by Lutefisk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am

No worries about building a sailboat anymore :)
I bought myself a norwegian BB11

sjptak

Post by sjptak » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm

John, that is a very pretty boat. I wouldn't mind having one at all. Good luck with it.

Stan
Stan
A wannabee builder

Return to “Sailboats”