Bow Eye Installation on Bull's Eye

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

rhenig

Bow Eye Installation on Bull's Eye

Post by rhenig »

The instructions tells me to use the bow eye to hold the bow eye block in place while the epoxy putty glueing it cures. It seems to me that once this is done the bow eye is in place for good. So, when I flip the boat to fiberglass the stem the bow eye will be in the way. I would think I would want to install the bow eye after the stem and exterior of the boat are glassed.

If I use a temporary holder instead of the bow eye itself I still have a build ordering problem because the bow seat and bulkhead close off access to the back of the bow eye block preventing installation after sealing that area.

So, Bull's Eye builders, please let me know how you've dealt with this sequencing problem.

Thanks,
Bob.
----------------
Building a Bull's Eye
My Boatbuilding Blog

Oyster

Re: Bow Eye Installation on Bull's Eye

Post by Oyster »

I don't know the sequence or the instructions. But its not a big deal to install a block in the region of the eye in thickened epoxy without the eye ran through the block. But I personally would think that a block overlaying the tape region after all the taping is done in the region of the small filler block would also be a method to use. Its nothing to install a couple of screws until the glue dries and then bore for your eye.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Can you use a small round access hatch to get into that area after to reinstall the bow eye?

Then you could just use a bolt (or the eye), remove it while the epoxy is still green,and reinstall it after the hull is glassed and painted inside and out

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Bob;
The bow eye was perhaps the most traumatic part of the build for me. The 'how to build with stitch and glue' pamplet that came with the plans show a screw left "in the position of the boweye block" during initial glue up ... yea right. Figuring out just where this critical piece should be was hard for this newbie. Visions of the entire boat swinging from this bow eye made for some sweaty palms and awkward positions.
First step get the bow eye you want. I started with a two bolt unit (seemed better support for that swinging dinghy) so made the bow block extra big and tried to shape it (piece of mahogany) to the curvy internal bow shape (lots of rasping and epoxy putty). The two holer turned out to be a big mistake as i couldn't get the holes parallel and drilled and filled several before giving up and going with a one holer (Hamilton marine has some beautiful bronze units for ~$20).

Make a flat area on the bow to seat the eye early on. It is difficult to drill the hole so it comes out parallel to that curving bow line and meets the internal blocking at a decent angle without it (lesson # 237 in newbie book of idiot guide to boat building). I ended up having to grind away at that tender area after glassing the hull and had to add some bias ply tape and re-fair the hull there.
It is a long way through the hull and blocking I got a 6" unit and had to cut off some in the end but 3" is probably not enough. That long hole means a few degrees off and the bolt may be coming out the block at a bad, bad angle ( oh yes several times).

Doing all this early on (before you put the top on the bow seat after the bracing) may be best as I waited out of fear of screwing up and thus garanteed screwing up. The contortions required working through the hole in the bulkhead, by feel, upside down with sharp edges of fiberglass tape lurking all about left me searching for a larger category of expletives.

Good luck and a steady hand to you

DaveA
Attachments
Final, not quite 'square' but not as bad as picture
Final, not quite 'square' but not as bad as picture
3rd attempt after flatening, taping and fairing
3rd attempt after flatening, taping and fairing
2nd benighted attempt at bow eye no record of two holer exists
2nd benighted attempt at bow eye no record of two holer exists

rhenig

Post by rhenig »

Thanks for the replies.

I went with drilling a single hole from the outside of the stem eyeballed to be parallel to the centerline and perpendicular to the block. Once the hole was drilled I was able to position the block using the strong arm held perpendicular to the bulkhead. I then marked to hole location by poking a pencil through the dilled hole.

I don't share Dave's concern about the load on the block and bow eye. I think that once it is all incorporated with fillet the fiberglass re-enforcing the stem, the bow seat, strong back to bulkhead, are going to distribute the load on the bow hook.

I plan on adding a deck plate to the bulkhead and using that to access the bolt on the bow eye after the outside is finished.

Here are some pics.
Attachments
All glued in place
All glued in place
Block in place with bolt
Block in place with bolt
Hole drilled though stem
Hole drilled though stem
----------------
Building a Bull's Eye
My Boatbuilding Blog

Return to “Sailboats”