Glen-L Sails Question

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Is the Glen-L Logo & Boat Name on sails a deterrent to purchasing them?

Poll ended at Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 12

Gayle Brantuk

Glen-L Sails Question

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Question: Glen-L sails have our company logo on them and sometimes the boat name or some type of picture depicting the name. Do you think that's a deterrent to purchasing them? Here's a couple of examples:

Thanks for the input!
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

jprice

Re: Glen-L Sails Question

Post by jprice »

I don't have a sailboat, and really have no plans on ever building or buying one.
But if I were going to build one, getting sails with the glen-l logo would be incentive, not a deterrent.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

I agree...would really like it.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

ilong

Post by ilong »

I bought a Glen-L sail, so the logo was not a deterrent for me, nor was it an incentive. For me, it was just the easiest way to get a sail that was properly designed for my boat.

Ian
Build it, and they will come.... to go boating!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

In some cases the amateur or home built boat may seem to some an inferior quality product and that may be when I have seen some builders using wood that was never intended for marine use. However, if you have looked at the fiberglass sail boats that are being Ebay'd, they are like a bathtub inside. Terrible inside but they are of consistant quality when built so the buyer knows every boat is a similar build. With amateur built boats you no idea what pending problems could be waiting even if the boat was recently built. In this respect, greater caution should be exercised in purchasing a home built but following that, once you find a well built amateur build, it will be of better quality than a similar factory job mainly because the expert builder will put everything where it should be regardless of cost or effort.
For this reason some see the inconsistancy of builds to be a detracting factor and tend to look down on the home built logo. But once again the factory built fiberglass boats are not wood and where can you get a new wood boat. Add to that the price of new boats and factory builders simply must economize on everything to reach the price buyers will pay. So the home built boat needs to be seen as a one off and the Glen-L logo does not really tell anything other than the hull shape and weight. But it does indicate that the boat plans are of a long standing design which follows good marine practice. As such, the Glen-L logo should be somewhere on the boat so that it can be designated for what it is, a Glen-L design and not otherwise.
I put years of work into my Glen-L 25 and have Glen-L sails. They will indicate that my boat follows Glen-L plans and is built accordingly. If I had an older C&C with logo sails, the same sense applies. It's really no different. However, the interior of my boat is all wood and comfortable. The older fiberglass interior would make a person sick and a person is not going to get a nice all wood interior from a factory boat. So to me, the logo on the sail is perhaps the right thing to have as it indicates that the boat has the right parts all the way through.

Stuart

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Hi Folks

I think having the Glen-L logo or the boat identification on the sails is indeed a good thing. There is a very long history with the identification of a builder (ie Catalina, C&C, Hunter, CS) or more specifically a design to be indicated on your sails. The one-design fleets around the world are instantly recognizable from the sail emblems (Laser, Star, 505, etc)....even down to their sail/hull numbers.

This is a fine tradition. Including the Glen-L logo and a logo or name to represent the design is in keeping with the tradition. If enough Glen-l boats were in a place all at the same time, a series of one-design races would be excellent!

Note: some may want to point out.....my sails on my Bull's Eye are not Glen-L sails. This is definitely NOT because I had a problem with the marking on the sail! I made some decisions on the sail markings from before the start of the build, and once I had found my mast, I wanted to use slugs instead of a bolt rope on the luff. I hate seeing the sail get worn by the groove and covered in aluminum oxide. I also wanted to increase the roach to get a bit more area, to bring it closer to the sloop rig sail area while still on a cat rig. A compromise I decided to take and have been happy with it. Sadly if there is a Bull's Eye one design race, I guess I'm out as I don't have the regulation sail. :(

Cheers

Mark C

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Thank you everyone--your feedback is invaluable to us and greatly appreciated. Mark, I certainly understand your desire for a customized sail after all, that's the fun of creating your own boat. Stuart, that's a well thought out examination of the issue.

As usual, you folks are awesome!
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Hi

Gayle: Suggestion - if I may?

How about a builders plate? I was looking for one for my Bull's Eye and I received one as a Christmas gift. It was ordered via Wooden Boat. The person that bought it for me was not happy about the experience and I not so much about the quality. The "brass" screws it was shipped with were rusty (??). Nice ones are hard to find, especially for smaller boats. I don't want a plate the size of my transom!

How about a Builders plate with the Glen-L logo, representing Glen-L as the designer, a place to inscribe the name of the builder and the date of trials. You could either include in the plate itself the name of the design, or make it generic and include space for that to be inscribed too. From that point the discussion can move on to dimensions and space for them.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Mark C

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

And of coarse, I have to add this to the mast.

Stuart

hdunk

Post by hdunk »

Gayle, it would be great to have a ID Plate as described above... just my 2 cents
Getting ready to start a Titan,

Welcome home our military...
USAF Retired.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

+1 for ID plate nice idea :D

shep

Post by shep »

Ditto here on a name plate. I searched for something suitable and found one at the Wooden Boat store. However, not great quality as it came with stains/tarnishes I could not remove so likely will always be there. Would be great tohave this avaiilable at Glen-L store!

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

shep wrote:Ditto here on a name plate. I searched for something suitable and found one at the Wooden Boat store. However, not great quality as it came with stains/tarnishes I could not remove so likely will always be there. Would be great tohave this avaiilable at Glen-L store!

Sounds like you have the same one I do!

Cheers

Mark C

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Stuart wrote:And of coarse, I have to add this to the mast.

Stuart
Hi Stuart

Fabulous design!

I'm sure it will look great on the boat!

Cheers

Mark C

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

Most sailboat classes/Designers have a logo.

Different sail makers will use the logo for your sail to match the boat.

O'Day Daysailers have a 'DS' logo

my old Ranger sailboat had a 'R' logo

The lasers, Sonars, J-boats all have logos - regardless of who made the sails -
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Return to “Sailboats”