Glen-L Sails Question

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Is the Glen-L Logo & Boat Name on sails a deterrent to purchasing them?

Poll ended at Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 12

jprice

Re: Glen-L Sails Question

Post by jprice »

I want to do a custom ID plate as well.
I did some digging and this place looks promising.
http://www.plaquemaker.com/PlateOrder.html
It's not specifically for boats, but they do list several options under outdoor metals, and seem pretty flexible with shapes/designs.

noddyone

Post by noddyone »

hdunk wrote:Gayle, it would be great to have a ID Plate as described above... just my 2 cents
Again, +1 for a plate. Would be proudly displayed!

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci »

A Glen-L Logo on sails would not in any way be a deterrent to me, and I too would love a source for a nameplate. I am ready to launch BooBooToo, and am currently searching for a nameplate. I have a friend who did some laser work on my cabin control panel and I thought I should at least give credit to the designer (the boat is an Ultra Pierre).

Mike
Attachments
P1050850.JPG

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci »

Sorry the last picture was so small it wasn't clear. The Upper left part of the logo reads "Ultra Pierre", the name of the boat BooBooToo is pretty clear, and the lower right lists "Hankinson/Morasci" (as Designer/Builder). I think with all the effort that went into a great design, giving credit to the designer is a nice compliment and would like a nameplate which clarifies (whether Hankinson or Glen-L).

Mike

Fernao

Post by Fernao »

I just got the plans for the Yankee Star. I hope that the Glen-L sails are available for the Ketch rigged Yankee star.
Se eu pudera, eu passaria tudo meu tempo navegando no mar.

fredt

Post by fredt »

As stated, all sailboat mfg's put their logo on their sails. As well as sometimes boat length J24, C30, Etc.

Obviously , after market specialty sails normally denote their manufacture, like spinnakers, Mylar genoas, etc.

A Glen L logo would never be a problem . Whenever there are 2 boats on the water, it will soon become a race.

It would be nice to know that you were beaten by a Glen L design boat :)

I also vote for the name plate.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I've said it before. How do you tell if sailboats are racing? There are 2 boats! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Alan K

Post by Alan K »

No.... It shouldn't be a deterrent.

The Logo on the Sail is the character of the boat.

Saying you don't want that would be like buying a jaguar and not wanting the hood ornament.
Alan K

“To reach a port we must set sail
Sail, not tie at anchor
Sail, not drift.”

Franklin D. Roosevelt

dad21dog

Post by dad21dog »

I too agree that it wouldn't be a deterrent. I am hoping that there are francis drake sails available, as this is the project I will be starting in the new year. With a new baby on the way, I want to have something they will grow into and be proud to sail for years to come and say their dad built it with his own two hands.

as for a builders plate, I third that.....would look wonderful on the inside of the transom under the tiller......
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

"love should be multiplied, not divided"

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Thank you for the continued feedback! About sails for our larger designs like the Francis Drake or Yankee Star, we don't carry those. They can be made by a local sailmaker using sheet 1 of the plans.
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

I have been reading everyone's comments about the Glen -L logo......as a current builder of the tugg-along 18.(which is not done)....I am very proud to think I'm associated with a fine bunch of folks that are proud to have the logo on their build.....
I have had highly polished stainless steel , Glen-L, logos/name plates made for my build....as I want anyone who is looking at it, to know where the design came from...and when I applied for a tittle to the boat...I insisted the tittle incorporate the name.....Glen_L , which does appear on the tittle...If and When or ever, should I sell the boat.....the logo's/name on the hull, along with the tittle referring to Glen-L, and with all the photo's to document the build.....will bring premium $.....
so yes I'm very proud to include these on or in my build...
Wayne Conklin......aka Flordia Boy..

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Ah Wayne--you're just too sweet! :D :D :D Thank you...
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

all the girls say that !!!!!however........the truth is the truth...and I had to tell. also if anyone is interested in those highly polished logos, have them let me know...I'm sure the fellow in N.C. kept the pattern...W.

Kelsey

Post by Kelsey »

Im going to get a name plate made, I was thinking a small piece of stainless steel then inscribe the Glen l name as the design, my name as builder and the year built. To be honest, I don't particularly want any logo's on the sail. Just my preference. Can I buy the Glen L sails for the Glen l 15 without the Logo's?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Yes Kelsey, we can special order you a set of sails without our logo, but there will be additional shipping charges because we order them from Hong Kong. If you're interested, please send me an email at Gayle@Glen-L.com. It will take about a month also...
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter

Return to “Sailboats”