Glen-L17 mast construction

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

dpenner

Glen-L17 mast construction

Post by dpenner »

I have plans for the Glen L17, and they detail construction for a wooden mast, but there is an option for an aluminum mast. I thought the aluminum might be better for a boat that may be mostly trailered, and a little lighter. Available parts show hardware for a wooden mast, and an aluminum mast fittings kit. Does the fittings kit replace the hardware kit for wooden masts, or are there some parts in the hardware kit that I would need in addition to the other fittings? Am I right about the mast choice, or should I plan on building the wooden one? I am several months away from starting (need to finish a grandfather clock), but looking forward to the experience.

Stuart

Re: Glen-L17 mast construction

Post by Stuart »

depnner, The wooden mast is not cheap. Best choice Sitka spruce will maybe cost $600 minimum. It is also heavy, will rot if not constantly kept varnished, but it looks beautiful on older boat designs. I am not certain if Glen-L has the mast for your boat but it comes in cheaper. But before you decide, consider buying a 60's or 70's donor boat from some like 'boatangles" on ebay. You can pick up an older boat for under a $1000. It includes the mast, the running and standing rigging, lights, fittings, perhaps a roller furler, maybe portlights, pumps, lead, a trailer and perhaps a motor. You won't get any kind of motor for under $500. Anything left over you can sell. Most of the fittings are stainless so buy yourself a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and they will come up like new. Might even get some wood out of the donor boat including hinges, anchor roller and an anchor with chain, mast, boom, winch, fuel tank, battery box, navigation lights, who knows what but you can save a lot.

Stuart

dpenner

Post by dpenner »

Thanks! I thought the wooden version would be heavier, just not sure how much. Glen L does not offer the mast, but they suggest buying from Dwyer Aluminum. The masts are about one pound per foot, or about twenty pounds for this boat. The only question then is concerning the hardware required for the mast fittings.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Well I'm almost certain Glen-L will have the standing and running rigging. You will need a boom too. The masthead fitting is about the only thing that would be difficult. I just wish I could get lucky and find a jib roller furler for 50 bucks. The price of Sitka spruce will send you boogaloo.

Stuart

dpenner

Post by dpenner »

They definitely have all the rigging. I just wasn't sure from the descriptions whether the rigging for the aluminum mast included everything, or if I needed anything from the other kit as well. I can always call when I get ready to order. That won't be for a while yet anyway.

dpenner

Post by dpenner »

I think I just saw the answer to my question. The rigging kit is $700, and the other is a fittings kit for aluminum masts at a little over $100. So I will need both when the time comes.

tjr6257

Post by tjr6257 »

Ok, besides all the other attributes mentioned about wood versus metal. What about using VG Doug Fir instead of Spruce to save $$ ?

markr

Post by markr »

would a mast from a hobie 14 or 16 work? these can sometimes be had for a good price.
I'm building a glen-L "La Chatte" and plan on using a Hobie 16 mast on it. I bought it for $140. the boom was $100 and the mast step was $50, but when you consider that a new gooseneck and mast step for the Hobie are $75 each, these seemed like pretty good prices.
Mark

Return to “Sailboats”