Can I sail the Glen-L 10 on the ocean or just a river/lake?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

ibensley

Post by ibensley »

Pullie

Re: Can I sail the Glen-L 10 on the ocean or just a river/la

Post by Pullie »

according to the beneficiary of your life Insurance: YES

according to all else: NO

just my 1,5 cents...

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

The smallest sailboat to cross the Atlantic was something like 7ft. A guy did the "great loop" here in the states in a 12 ft open sail/rowboat. So I won't say you cant but you would have to be on the right body of water on the right days. There is a lot of flat water out there though.

Where are you wanting to sail?

ibensley

Post by ibensley »

I live in Perth Australia (second windest city in the world) :P

But the waters are generally calm, I was just thinking off the coast

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

I wouldn't take the Glen-L 10 on any kind of unsettled water. It looks like a very shallow, low-freeboard design designed for speed on flat water.

If you wanted a 10-foot boat to take on (relatively calm) open water, I'd suggest looking at the Saboteer design. It's a scaled up Sabot/El Toro. El Toros are very commonly sailed on San Francisco Bay, which isn't exactly calm. I know it's a very different boat from the Glen-L 10, but I think it would be much better suited for the ocean.

galamb

Post by galamb »

When I was a teenager and thought I would live forever I used to take a 1959, 14' lapstrake, short transom runabout out on Lake Huron (second largest of the great lakes over here) in all kinds of weather - probably why my hair is pure white now.

What can be done and what should be done and what is "safe" to do are often never the same thing.

If you feel comfortable with a hair under 10 feet of boat that looks more like a para-sail then anything else, I say go for it (I don't have the market cornered on white hair :))- I may tend to invest in a very good floater/survival suit however...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I just do not know what everyone here is talking about!! Hey, it's YOUR boat. Do what you want with it.

Just take along your EPIRB, anti-shark wetsuit, an S.O.S strobe light, plenty of water and some food in floating watertight containers, a satellite phone with a solar charger maybe, some cigars to share with the chopper crew and a mirror for signalling and you'll just be fine! Trust me. :evil:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Hi Folks

Hang on a second.......an hour or two sail/boat ride on a nice afternoon - 5kn winds and less than 1m swells on any ocean, close to shore could be a pleasant time. Just as 40kn of wind and 4m swells in Lake Ontario would be insane.

The skipper needs to assess the situation and make the call based on a number of factors. If we are talking about passage making, it is a quite a different topic and the average person is just not going to undertake it.

Cheers

Mark C

Return to “Sailboats”