OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Stuart

OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET

Post by Stuart » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

I have a 10Hp 4 cycle kicker to mount on my 25ft sailboat. The motor I have is a extra long shaft. While I know I can't mount this directly to my transom, I don't like the adjustable motor bracket designs much. I am wondering if I could mount it to a fixed bracket? The adjustables look rather weak and I am not certain I need it to be adjustable as the motor itself has a tilt. What am I missing?

Stuart

vettepilot

Re: OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET

Post by vettepilot » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:39 am

with the adjustables the motor can stay flat against hull rather then sticking out at an angle.... or you can make a solid mount if thats the way you want to go.. :D
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

slug

Post by slug » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:32 am

Stuart; Maybe a pic of the transom as it is now would give us an idea of how to suggest a design?

Doug

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 pm

I am not sure what to do.

Here is a picture of the transom with the rudder.

Here is another picture of the tansom upside down.

Picture of the motor. Its a heavy motor too.

Stuart

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 am

The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

slug

Post by slug » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 am

Stuart; I think the second one Vette showed is the right concept. (The one from Anglesey)
For the motor you have it would need a wider base to distribute the loads more across the transom.
Obviously needs some playing around with mock-ups to get the right shape and size/location, staying clear of the rudder.
I'd probably go with stainless but the cost would be higher.
Doug

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 am

Well I'm still confused. The Garelic from Internetoutboards indicated use on 2 stroke engines only. Mine is a 4 stroke and I thought this was the right way to go. Maybe not? The fixed braket from Norfolk Marine is up to 4hp and mine is 9.9 hp. Once again I thought using anything less on a 25ft sailboat would be unsuitable. Maybe not?
I'm thinkin Jack Plate. Whats the reasoning on that? Could I make one?

Stuart

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 am